Wednesday lunch in Portland Maine

Thanks for the thumbs up on Terlingua! Every time we get up to Maine we run out of time to try places new to us. Choices are a good “problem” to have, yes?

1 Like

Just mentioning this again:

3 Likes

heh, Tomato beat me to it :grin:

3 Likes

@sallyt Wish I could help. The last time we ate in Portland, we did Bissell Brothers but I don’t think that’s quite what you are looking for. We find ourselves not eating in Portland on our recent Maine sojourns because the bounty of choices tends to paralyze us.

On a somewhat (un)related note, B and I may play hooky on Wednesday while Spring Onion is in all-day art camp and go to Anju, a favorite of ours. But only if pesky work lets us.

3 Likes

Jealous!

@sallyt My hijacking was a thinly-veiled attempt at suggesting a non-Portland option. And maybe I would run into you at Anju if we have our Hungry Onion t-shirts on. :grin:

2 Likes

@digga - that looks SO GOOD!!! Kittery is too far south for me - dropping kids off at Tufts camp by 9 am so timing works for an early lunch in Portland. Have the best time!

1 Like

Did you see these older threads @sallyt (in addition to the one @tomatotomato posted from this year) –

3 Likes

Hey there, @sallyt! Just noticed that East Ender now appears to be open for lunch according to their website.

I had been just about to comment that my 2021 threads that @Saregama so kindly references above are out of date. I originally offered the 2021 info so I feel responsible. This season I’m observing that restaurants appear to be adjusting hours and offerings more frequently, in response to staffing (plus supply chain and food costs in some cases I expect).

3 Likes

Thanks Denise! When I was in Portland in May, it was such a disappointment that the city shut down most of the outdoor space on Middle St. Apparently the ratio of diners/bathrooms wasn’t sufficient :frowning:

1 Like

Oops, I don’t know about the outdoor space there currently?

Was in Portland in May too and noticed the overall reduction in outdoor seating. :worried: At that time East Ender didn’t open until late afternoon so we didn’t even consider it/drive by for our lunch back then.

Changes, changes.

2 Likes

We had lunch at Honey paw so there was just their old outdoor seating. It’s such a disappointment for the businesses and it was also such a festive and wonderful atmosphere last summer

1 Like

It may not be exactly what you’re going for, but we often do a take-out lunch from Blue Rooster Food Company. I love their sandwiches (any of which can be made in a salad version) and tater tots! Picnic up on the promenade, then hit a gelato truck for dessert.

I would kill for their Charlie Noble sandwich right now…

7 Likes

I ended up at the East Ender - such fantastic food!! Got this grilled salad. Also got gelato from Gelato Fiasco and on my way up the coast, stopped at Treats in Wiscasset
& Bleecker and Greer in Rockport.

8 Likes

What a great food day you’ve had and it’s not even dinner time yet!

4 Likes

I love Maine! I’ve decided I want to retire in Camden and open a proper bakery. Now at Franny’s Bistro - it’s so popular that someone offered to buy my reservation

5 Likes

What did you eat at Franny’s?

Garden salad with toasted focaccia and goat cheese, halibut and veggies - halibut arrived off the boat at 515!, and salted caramel ice cream

4 Likes

Sounds wonderful! Super fresh halibut is such a treat!

4 Likes

Great job hitting Treats! Whenever I/we go to Red’s for a lobster roll someone always pops over to Treats for treats.

3 Likes