Ways with parsnips

Some tips from a food mag I was reading. I also found 3 parsnip recipes on the mag’s website.

Click on image and then the magnifying glass to view full size (otherwise you won’t be able to read the texts).

4 Likes

My mom makes a fabulous roasted parsnip soup. I wish I remember where the recipe came from!

2 Likes

All three recipes sound interesting. I enjoy parsnips and they are often the veg family and guests like but can’t quite identify. When I roast carrots I typically include some parsnips to have on hand and they pair well. I like them as a cream soup, added to mash potatoes and once roasted in a salad. Of course in the chicken soup pot with the rest of the veg and lastly cut into thin planks for a french fry.

4 Likes

I love parsnips. Soup with cream is nice. Roasting brings out the sweetness in parsnips.

1 Like

There’s an old English expression, “Fine words butter no parsnips.” This implies that they are to be, or used to be mashed like potatoes.

3 Likes

The root vegetable parsnip lentil casserole sounds interesting and tasty!
I love to add parsnips into a mix of roasted root veg, and i do love them as soup but usually also have to add in a potato to get the right creamy texture since I can’t have actual cream

1 Like

Yes, because they ate parsnips in Europe for many centuries before potatoes were introduced there.
I love them. There are a couple in the lamb neck stew I have on the stove now.

2 Likes

I use them in my vegetable soups. I suppose I should try them mashed with butter.

2 Likes

I like the saying. My first time hearing it.

There’s such a thing as vegetarian cream. It’s not bad, I use it sometimes. You could use thick yogurt or something similar that’s not actually dairy.

And before beet and cane sugars parsnips were the main source of sugar.

I just got a kilo today (costs 3 euros) and think I’m going to make a creamy soup soon.

2 Likes

Well, after all that I figured I should cook them. I bought some organic parsnips at the local grocery store, peeled them, cooked them and mashed them with lots of butter, pepper, and sumak. I thought they were ok, and maybe I could do other things with them. My wife complained the whole time, first because of the cooking smell, then because of the taste. I know who is going to get to finish the leftovers.

3 Likes

You could turn the leftover mash into soup to amp it up with additional flavors.
The wife might be more into roasted paranips, they get tasty camelized edges, not as fragrant as boiling or steaming

2 Likes

Well, I’m sorry your wife didn’t like them. She might like them more as part of a mixture of root vegetables, either mashed or roasted. Or maybe not, maybe they’re not her thing. What did she not like about the taste or the smell? And why did you use sumac - not a criticism, just wondering.

1 Like

I’m also pureeing/mashing mine today, but a bit different than straight-up puree. The partner, who rarely finds something unpalatable, also happily eats all my failed endeavours.

If you mash or puree there are a couple of things you can add to it (garlic, cream butter etc). To lessen the parsnip taste try adding some carrots or cauliflower.

Good idea to turn the leftovers into a soup, as suggested by Ttrockwood.

1 Like

I was thinking of roasting them. I’ll try it the next time when I can roast something else with them.
When I heat up the oven, I try to do several things at the same time.

1 Like

Why did I use sumac? Well, I like it, and I was most likely inspired by the recent discussions here. And why did I write “sumak”? Because I bought it at a local Turkish store, and that’s how they labeled it.

2 Likes

Bcc, your wife is probably super sensitive to the smell of certain foods? I’m the same and did detect a smell whilst cooking them but it wasn’t unpleasant at all.

So simple some may scoff at it but we enjoyed it so much.

The other half kilo is in the soup. Fried Speck in butter provides all the taste. I didn’t add any seasoning. Topped up the cheese 3 times. It sank in the heat.

More greens alongside.

My house still smells like we had cheese fondue. I used a hard cheese, similar to Comté, called Schlossberger. The Swiss one on right in photo. Very nice.

4 Likes

We’ll be away till January, but then I’ll try them again, roasted in the oven and with some cheese. I’m sure that that will be a different experience.

1 Like

Roasting really brings out the sweetness

4 Likes

I’m also leaving soon, not buying anything new. Wasn’t happy with the previous photo so I made it again today with leftover puree.

4 Likes

Anyone have some new ideas for parsnips?