Vegetable garden planning, what will you plant this year?

I read about that somewhere before, thanks for reminding. I will try to see what I can find in shops as young plants, I read some old varieties might worth a try, but they aren’t as blue as the one you have planted, I believe.

I have a little plot in the comunity garden at work where I’m growing herbs and sunchokes, I got a trio of chiles- shishito, jalapeno, and serrano- but the soil at my house is so crappy, anything edible I grow has to be in pots. I’ve been working on it, but not hard enough, I guess. I think I’d do better throwing pottery with my soil, it’s so clayish.

Ha! The same kind of chiles I planted- what are the chances?

And just yesterday I was checking out the peppers. So far the shishitos are going great, the serranos a close second, and the jalapeños are lagging.

This is my sixth year gardening…my husband used to be in charge of that department and boy did he have a green thumb. It was like the Garden of Eden. Now, not so much.

This year I think I have it all down finally…homemade compost, manure mix, upping the irrigation, will use Miracle Gro regularly for the first time, and I will also put everything out a bit later so Jack Frost doesn’t surprise me again, like last year. The only things I’m starting indoors are three different tomatoes, a few cayenne peppers I got at a seed swap, and a mess of collard greens. The rest is seeds I just planted outside yesterday, mostly squash (about 10 different kinds) and peas and beans. I always start out with such high hopes :wink: Fingers crossed!

Signed, The Eternal Optimist

I do wish you great gardening luck, coll. But if you’re going to use compost and manure IMNSHO you’re blowing it by using Miracle Gro. Try an organic fertilizer like those produced by Espoma.

Thanks for the advice, I will research a little further. I just know my husband swore by Miracle Gro, it’s a sharp learning curve for me!

Believe me, I continue to learn new things every year in the garden. It just seems Miracle Gro and the like, over time, deplete the beneficial bacteria and microbes in good soil. Best of luck!!

1 Like

Good to know. You learn something new every day :wink:

1 Like

I do the exact same thing. Well, except for one tomato and one yellow crookneck squash in a pot each. I have mint, thyme, sage, rosemary, tarragon, oregano and basil. The basil is the only one that hasn’t over-wintered the last two years. I just buy a pot at TJs and pop it in the ground.

I haphazardly sprinkled mache/ aka corn salad seeds on one of the raised beds last fall - wow, what a yield we had, very dense and delicious, was snowed on and frozen a few times and came back to give more salads. And then the tulips came up thru the mache carpet. Accidental and unplanned and so pretty.
The tarragon is up about 6" and the newly planted arugula popped thru yesterday. I have planted strawberry roots for the first time in hanging pots, not sure what it will yield the first year.

Anxiously awaiting ripening…

3 Likes

Lots of zucchini from one plant. Somehow we missed this one and it got a bit too big!

1 Like

We make zoodles out of the bigger ones.

I’m so jealous of you gardeners - apartment living really sucks sometimes. However, we are in the process of buying our first house, so we’ll have outdoor space by August 1 if all goes well. Probably too late for planting anything in the Hudson Valley, but I will be taking notes for next spring. I’m especially interested in peppers - it’s hard to find fresh ones that are truly hot in the supermarkets!

1 Like

The salad’s almost ready.

But the pickles might be a while.

2 Likes

Hit me up at the end of this season or in the winter when it’s time to start your pepper seeds indoors, I have seeds for over 100 pepper varieties and am happy to share.

That would be amazing, thank you! The house has a huge finished attic that gets lots of natural light, so I will have plenty of space to start seeds. I may even invest in a grow light or two, to get things moving along.

More zucchini, a squash (the yellow squash production has been disappointing), shishitos, a few jalapeños, and a few habaneros.

1 Like

Tomatoes are still small, this year too much rain and too cold. Already, our neighbour a street apart was flooded. So lucky us, I can’t complain. Tomatoes are still small, even those planted in April. Announced, it will be getting hot starting tomorrow. (Hope that will last).

So this is what in the yard now… some green peas, fava beans, strawberries, rhubarb…lemon, raspberries etc.