URGENT: Your favorite / go-to banana bread (or cake or muffin) recipe please!

I don’t eat banana bread. But there is a 6-pack in prime blackened banana bread state in front of me, and my bereaved friend loves banana bread, so I’d like to take her a loaf (or few) when I visit tomorrow after the main event.

SO - Requesting your tried and tested recipes and advice please!

I have to get the baking done this evening as there will be no kitchen use tomorrow that does not involve the feast…

1 Like

This older discussion will help!

I have tried the banana bread in the link below, recipe by Mrs @Harters. Delicious.

My feedback on the recipe is a few posts down.
Hope this can help.

2 Likes

The Flour Bakery banana bread is much beloved. I have used yogurt, and even buttermilk, in place of the sour cream. I usually omit the vanilla.

6 Likes

This:

3 Likes

Maybe too late now, but the crazy ATK method of cooking the bananas in the microwave is a revelation, creates very banana centric banana bread. Can be applied to whatever recipe you do use.
Apparently this blog didn’t have any concerns about reposting their recipe!

5 Likes

Banana Bread

Ingredients:
2 Cups Sugar
2/3 Cup Oil
4 Eggs
2 t Baking Soda
2 t Cinnamon
3 Cups Flour
4-5 mashed bananas

Directions;
Pre-heat oven to 350o, Prep 2 large or 6 small loaf pans.

Beat oil & sugar together; add eggs, baking soda & cinnamon. Add mashed bananas & beat to incorporate. Add flour.

Bake @ 350O for about 35 – 40 mins. Test with toothpick for doneness.

You can add a few tablespoons of butter to the recipe for flavor but don’t substitute all of the oil or the bread will be very dry.

2 Likes

Thank you all! My day took an unexpected turn just after I posted this…

Our family Tday chef took slightly ill… so… I spent the day making most of the sides so that she can focus on just the turkey tomorrow.

SO.

I found a silly easy recipe on Epicurious that was rated 4 stars by 481 people and required one bowl and no fuss… at 10pm, that’s the way I went.

So far so good. I made a batch into muffins (moist and delicious according to non-banana-bread person that was not me), and the other is baking as a loaf.

This will definitely be a repeat - it really was ridiculously easy for a very good outcome.

I’ll try the much-loved Flour version (which is the other 4-star recipe - with 543 reviews - on Epi :joy:) another time.

4 Likes

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/banana-bread.html

We have really enjoyed this version the last few years. Once the batter is in the loaf pan I top it with sliced bananas and a bit of wheat germ then bake.

2 Likes

Great you made it!

The loaf you have made looked better than the muffin. What I like about banana bread is also the crust!

3 Likes

Did anybody ever add alcohol in banana bread? It seems rum would work with banana.

1 Like

Rum brushed on the loaf straight out of the oven sounds flavorful.

1 Like

Nice!!
But…where are the walnuts??? Isn’t it like a law that banana bread have walnuts…? I mean, pecans will do in a pinch i guess…

1 Like

I asked the recipient: nuts, chips, both, neither - CHIPS was the answer.

1 Like

The Flour recipe is designed for walnuts in my opinion. I don’t like it without walnuts. For plain, I use a different recipe.

1 Like

Ahhhh, then I understand. But they’re still wrong ;))

The Flour recipe uses canola oil and 2 table spoon of cream. Higher sugar ratio than other recipes. I think I prefer butter than oil recipe, but I am still curious. Maybe one day, I will bake 2 loaves to compare.

I look at the bakeoff link, I think I belong to the crust lover and leaning on the preference for more moist texture.

White or brown sugar, as for banana bread, brown sugar is a winner for me.

That’s a wonderful idea, now you reminded me that I have a tube of cognac with a spray for this purpose!

2 Likes

I don’t like buts in my cakes either… don’t bring any walnuts near my brownies!

1 Like

I also prefer butter. This Flour bakery oil based recipe is different, though. There’s no question it’s a crowd pleaser. Still, for an everyday bread, I prefer the original Sunset magazine version. The Easy Banana Bread on Chowhound.com is almost the exact same as the Sunset version.

Butter-based recipes require perfection, though. To get a bread that’s not dry, you have to be consistent with your ingredients and oven temperature. In a new environment, it might take 2 or 3 tries to get it right. Oil-based quickbreads are forgiving and I suspect that’s why they are more popular. I’m not a fan of the “moist” oil texture, but I understand the allure.

3 Likes

*nuts :rofl:

1 Like

I’m not enthusiastic about buts in my baked goods… :joy:
And all brownies must have walnuts. Non-negotiable.