Underrepresented national cuisines in the SFBA

Most of our Brit ancestors arrived here in the 17th Century. I for one do not long for the cuisine of 1640.

:sob:

Somehow modern British food didn’t make it across the pond. I will gladly eat those.

Unlike burgers, Californian cuisine never makes it to Europe either.

1 Like

37Canada - smokes poutinerie , Beauty bagels

If this is Canadian, fuggedaboudit…

Greetings from a New Yorker! Love this post, don’t mind me adding. Several more up my sleeve (esp. regarding regional Indian cuisine), so hmu if anyone’s down to grab dinner sometime.

Armenia - La Mediteranee
Argentina - el Porteño
Australia - Australian products Co
Bhutan - Himalayan Flavors (berkeley, has Ema Datsi)
Bolivia - Pena pachamama (raw/live food, vegan)
Cambodia - Braised + Bread has num pang
Fiji - Fiji Sweets (Hayward)
Hungary - paprika, crixa cakes, 20th century cafe
Iceland - Katy’s Kreek
Saudi - Dish-dash, San Jose
Moldova - New World Market has Vertuta
Uk - crown & crumpet, you say tomato
Uruguay - lolinda has chivito

4 Likes

Welcome to HO! An epic first post! Do you live here for good now?

I had thought Dish Dash (at least the one in Sunnyvale) was run by Lebanese. Are they actually Saudis?

Oh, We should talk about regional Indian. At some point I was thinking about pulling a @Hyperbowler and do a Regional Indian discussion

But never got around to it. But I must say there is a wealth of regional Indian, especially in the South Bay. So please feel free to start such a discussion! Separately I still need to get around to posting about Annachikadai, the thali on banana leaf place in Mountain View.

1 Like

Well @Yimster reported here that CWD is no longer Fijian:

Nice contribution, but with one quibble: I wonder if making fish and chips with Icelandic haddock makes a restaurant Icelandic.

These are great, thank you! Have you found anything here that you haven’t found in New York?

I will try to check out Fiji sweets soon.

How is the food at Paprika?

How did I miss Armenia? I believe Royal Market is Armenian owned too. Considering our proximity to Fresno, it’s surprising to have so few Armenian restaurants.

I was surprised to find more than six Argentina and Cambodia restaurants, which is why I hadn’t included those in the original post.

HForgive me if I mess up with the interface… new to this!

But yeah, I’ll be living in SF for the next 4-5 months :slight_smile:

That’s right re: Dish-Dash; that said they have dishes that tend to transcend boundaries, like Mansaf. If you want strictly Saudi fare, here’s a feastly event you may want to check out: https://eatfeastly.com/meals/d/191385328/the-real-middle-eastsaudi/?rf=fwebbrowpopu

2 Likes

I’m definitely grabbing for straws here, but they also have Icelandic pancakes and ale I believe. You may have better luck with Icelandic groceries at Nordic House in Berkeley perhaps.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d say Pacific Islander food is much tougher to come by in NYC. I haven’t tried Paprika yet to be honest - just had Hungarian from Cafe Europa which was frankly just ok.

1 Like

Mea culpa! I was going by their main posted menu and didn’t drill far enough down into the specials menus and submenus. I did find gravlax and something indentified as “Swedish Pancakes (Icelandic, of course)” (which was on the same submenu as Joe’s Special and Huevos Rancheros}.

A truly eclectic menu :slight_smile:

[edit to add] There appears to be a sister restaurant in San Ramon, Katy’s Korner, with a similar menu. So now we have two putative Icelandic restaurants.

1 Like

ChiliCali in SF too. They are a popup every sunday evening. Seems to have positive reports. Has anyone been?

Budiman also sometimes sells their food at the nearby Ori Deli.

Chilicali Chef Siska Silitonga occasionally presents a traditional North Sumatra feast called a “lontong.” It consisted of a series of entrees served family style two sauces to spoon over the food. I enjoyed one such banquet at one of her popups. It was a highly informative experience with Chef Siska explaining each dish as brought out and solicited reactions and questions during the meal. I highly recommend it.

5 Likes

Corrected menu link (that one’s a 404 now).

Karelian pies (from Finland if I understand Paolo’s Tweet) @ Kantine SF. Lots of Other Scandanavian dishes.

Karelia = far eastern Finland and the ethnically Finnish areas across the border in Russia.

1 Like

A friend posted pictures of an Abyssinian restaurant in San Diego. The dishes look Ethiopian, and the small Wiki entry says that that injira, that spongy pancake, is a staple. Google returns a closed South Bay place, Abyssinia, and then links to several Ethiopians. ![Abyssinian|700x525]
(upload://eTgXYZjSnxEclvsU7zjsZ42W9Ys.jpg)

1 Like

I don’t know why I can’t see the photo. Let’s try again.