Turkeys, turkeys, where to buy a turkey on the Peninsula??

I haven’t hosted Thanksgiving in a loooong time and happily am doing so this year. IIRC, last time I bought a turkey, it was a fresh (?) kosher one from Trader Joe’s. There will be 8 of us total (including 2 youngish girls) so I’m guessing a 8-10 pounder is the right size for us. But where to buy one? I’m in Foster City and will drive anywhere to get the best bird for the best price. This will probably be my last great get together in NoCal before I move away (hopefully) next year, and I want it to be memorable. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Thanks in advance and happy turkey day to all!

I liked Lunardis, Diestal? For Maybe 20 years, then after my folks passed, I no longer hosted Thanksgiving.

Brother cooked Butterballs, they have been fine……To me, it is about the gravy and sides, and the family.

1 Like

I know they’re not pc or trendy, but Butternalls have always been reliable for me. From what I’ve read, your real problem may be finding a turkey that small this year. Even 10-12 pounders are reported in short supply. Good luck. You might try calling various markets ahead.

Unless you’re addicted to turkey legs, you could always buy a breast or two.

Do you have a source recommendation on the peninsula?

Short of the local supermarket, no. I was simply commenting on quantity… if they couldn’t find a small enough turkey. Most supermarkets also offer bone in breasts.

Last year I wasn’t physically able to cook much of anything (Tday was one week after foot surgery) so my son’s GF cooked a turkey breast for just the 3 of us. COVID restrictions being much better this year, I’ve invited the family that included me in their Tday dinners before that. I really want some dark meat…much more flavorful but thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

The OP may have been a she.

Do you have any recommendations for turkey on the Peninsula?

For top quality, go to Draeger’s in San Mateo. Again, I’d call ahead and see if preordering is necessary.

1 Like

Generally not a fan of Whole Foods (I go to Berkeley Bowl and Monterey Market) but heard advertising on the radio for .99c/lb organic, yada, yada….and there’s like 10 WF on the Peninsula.

Last year I sous vide a turkey breast and roasted a leg…just enough for 3 people and a day or so of leftovers. One reason why I won’t do a whole turkey is never enough people and don’t want 8 lbs of turkey breast leftovers.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to start with Draegers as I trust them completely, and then Piazza’s after that.

And yes, I am definitely a she, and I’m always hungry too. Working for a catering company means I spend my entire day thinking about food…

2 Likes

So I ended up buying the turkey at Trader Joe’s, mostly because I had to go there for a few things and the turkeys were in a deli case right next to the door. I got a fresh kosher one, which is what I bought the last time and it was really good. 14 pounds and I think I paid about $2 a pound. Hopefully it will be as good as the last time.

Thanks again for the recs and I hope everyone has a wonderful, delicious dinner!

4 Likes

I did dragers because they do reservations. 19 lb bird, $75, which ends up a bit more than $2. I deep fry and this year’s was very crispy - I’ve learned to let the bird come to room temp, and air dry the skin. Very very crispy. After you deep fry I’m not sure the quality of the turkey matters as much.

3 Likes

Another update…

When I took the packaging off, I couldn’t believe what I saw. Almost the whole bird was covered in pin feathers–maybe that’s not the right word–and I spent over an hour pulling them out. It was a very frustrating job, not to mention a bit disgusting. I’ve never seen so many on one bird, whether chicken or turkey. There were quite a few “stubborn” ones that took multiple tries, and some still with remnants of feathers in them.

I wish I’d had the time to go back to TJ and show them the bird before I tackled it and gotten another, but the clock was ticking to get the bird prepped and ready and tackle the rest of prep. A friend suggested that I get a Butterball or another “name” brand the next time I do Thanksgiving.

Other than that, I took a suggestion from I-don’t-who (or when, but definitely very recently) and I cooked the bird breasts down. The end result was great, judging by the reaction of everyone at the table. Maybe they were being kind, but I think they were right.

I hope all of your turkey dinners came out great and you had enough leftovers to enjoy the meal again (and again, and again, and again…).

1 Like