Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh 2017

Yea to Organic Corn Chip Dippers.

Like fritos but not as oily/greasy. I think the salt is up there tho. Still…pretty good.

1 Like

Big fan of the brioche loaf, it’s not always available…or maybe sold out…so I grab a few loaves when I catch it.

Costco sells whisps which imo are better are cheaper

I really like it but my store is out for a few weeks

Those Corn dippers are amazing!! I love how thick and sturdy they are- and they actually have a great corn flavor. Funny but i really just buy a bag sporadically in the winter to go with chili or bean soups/stews where the salty chips work to scoop it up and season each bite

Another vote here for the Corn Dippers. While there’s no evidence to support the rumors that I occasionally eat them for breakfast with chili and beer, I can confirm that they are very tasty.

5 Likes

I always look at these but never buy them. Time to check them out!

I’m not a big TJ’s fan. That said:

New, the Gochujang flavored almonds. Weird in a good way, slightly spicy, complex.

Hot & Spicy Dill Pickle Chips. They vary a bit in heat level with the spicy ones better than the ones that are less so. Look for the jars with at least three red peppers in it. I’ve dumped boring cornichons into the emptied jar, plus a few garlic cloves, and let sit for a month and they came out mighty tasty. The Spicy dill pickles go very nicely on an antipasti plate with the Giant Chalkidiki Olives.

They are a bit salty, but in the best possible way. They really do need chili but now that i think about it something like seven layer dip would be perfect too…

…or guacamole or queso.

1 Like

Big YAY! for Trader Giotto’s Oven-Baked Cheese Bites. 100% cheese baked into super-crunchy goodness.

2 Likes

These have received many prior raves, including mine. They are too pricey, IMO, for snacking. I use them to garnish tomato soup and instead of croutons in salads. The bag is the size of a single serving bag of potato chips.

1 Like

YAY!! Trader joe’s has the healthade kombucha i’m obsessed with for almost $1 less than i’ve seen anywhere else. Also tried this new to me brand of ginger which was certainly ginger flavored but i like the ginger lemon combo better.

YAY!! Cornbread crisps, new, and absolutely problematic in that too easy to eat too many way. Nice light texture that shatters and a slightly salty corn flavor. I will be surprised if there are any left 48hrs from now.

Uh oh. Those Cornbread Crisps do look like they could be very problematic :anguished:. Thanks for the warning.

1 Like

Noticed those cornbread crisps in the store yesterday morning, and almost bought them on a whim. Sounds like I need to try them next time I go.

1 Like

I can only envy your self-discipline. :slight_smile: Does their crunch survive contact with soup / salad dressing?

Same here – I saw them and was about to get a bag, then realized I already had the Corn Dippers in my cart (from the previous recommendation) and decided to hold off on the cornbread crisps. I think they’d be great with bowl of chili!

1 Like

Not if you leave them in there for more than 2-3 minutes.

Context-specific YAY for the little packets of pitted manzanillo olives. The olives are decent but nothing extraordinary, but as backpacking treats they’re great. As a flavoring for dinner, as happy hour snack, or as part of lunch (they go really well with TJ’s goat gouda) they make a small but very nice addition.

And on the same topic, I made a tasty backpacker pasta sauce with TJ’s (tube) tomato paste and Umami Paste. Simple, super-easy, but satisfying.

2 Likes

Yay (one more time) for the corn dippers- Luv to dip them in the jalapeno pub cheese (also gets a yay)

1 Like