Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh 2017

No, @Ttrockwood, in a hard plastic jar and with fish sauce, sorry!

Are you on the East Coast? I haven’t seen these around Baltimore.

No. Northern California. I think these are items that are mostly likely supplied by a local bakery.

(((Sigh))
Thanks for the info! All indicators point towards me making my own anyhow

You know, every time I shell out $5 - $8 for a small jar I ask myself why I am not making it myself. Kimchi and sauerkraut are both made of absurdly cheap materials but are not cheap to buy.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Home Fermentation

These chips were really good. Nicely spicy. Paired with wine it was a perfect week night solo dinner. :grin:

4 Likes

Following up on other people’s recommendations

• those Chaldiki olives are great.

• thanks to whomever suggested putting The everything but the bagel spice mix on avocado toast. Delicious alternative to a bagel and cream cheese.

3 Likes

YAY to the jalapeno limeade. Just enough jalapeno for some pleasant heat, not overwhelming. Add tequila and a little triple sec and you’ve got a pretty good margarita.

Just had this yesterday. Not as much flavor as I’m used to in a margarita mix (even the jalapeño was mild) but it was pretty good compared with some that are way too sweet. My go-to has been the Bacardi frozen product for several years now.

YAY: the Masonic store (in SF) has Junipero gin at $26.99 for a 750, which is ~$6 off the standard (and $3 off the discounted) BevMo price.

Is there a Total Wine near you yet? Their price is $25.99. They’re consistently below Bevmo but, at least where I live, they will price match on up to two items.

Looked it up. Only in Fremont, Pleasant Hill, and Mountain View so far.

Oh well. Way out of my (geographic) range.

Has anyone had the Brownie Crisp Coffee Ice Cream Sandwiches, if so do you recommend them?
TIA
EDIT: never mind, I will take one for the team

1 Like

Not life changing but very good IMO
Not too sweet but I still would have preferred just a little less. I tasted sugar not chocolate … A nice in your face hit of coffee with the first bite, texturally there is creamy, crispy, chewy going on. Something seemed to be missing though. I am going to try a few flakes of salt on the next one These are a seasonal item and will not be reordered again this year … what you see is what you get, also not available in all TJ’s.

Halen Môn sea salt is back in Norcal. $3.25 for 100g.

3 Likes

MEH: Organic chocolate chip granola bars. Adding chocolate chips to a flavorless oaty bar may improve it, but it doesn’t actually make it good.

1 Like

Yea: Porto 6 Portuguese red wine. It’s one of the best in its price range, $4.99

1 Like

Is there something about it that makes it worth that price?

Depends on how you plan to eat it. I just occasionally sprinkle some of this, or fluer de sel, on my food to finish. And the halen mon tastes pretty good. So that bag, while certainly not cheap on a per unit basis, will last me a good while.

1 Like