Tomato Season - the Master Thread

But I think sugar can be, or can not be, an ingredient in either soup or sauce, depending on one’s preference for sugar level. So to me, that isn’t really a distinction between the two…

1 Like

Agree, which is why I have always found tomato soup to be kind of weird. I know that canned tomato soup tends to be a lot sweeter than pasta sauce, and most tomato soups are a bit thinner than the average pasta sauce, but still. Tomato basil soup especially. I love tomato-based pasta sauces but I don’t want to eat them with a spoon.

1 Like

I don’t mind eating any of it with a spoon, and I like dunking sandwiches in the soup. But how can these be the same thing and yet everyone refers to them as 2 separate things? It’s not like chicken broth and chicken gravy are the same… 2 dishes, 2 uses. Whereas tomato soup-sauce - could be interchangeable. Weird.

2 Likes

My tomato sauce is never as soupy as my tomato soup. They’re def not interchangeable in my household.

3 Likes

So consistency is different. What about ingredients or cooking method?

1 Like

I often use a little chicken stock as my base for soup, def not for sauce. I keep my sauce on the chunkier side (I don’t strain like I might with soup).

For sauces, I tend to add more olive oil. Sometimes I just blister cherry tomatoes in that oil, along with anchovies (which I rarely add to my tomato soup).

Occasional similarities: the use of onion, garlic, oregano or basil.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

In the past when I’ve googled tomato soup recipes, I don’t recall ever seeing chicken stock as a base. It’s certainly not a typical ingredient in a marinara! So I can see why you consider them 2 different dishes.

This thread (and my abundant supply of tomatoes and basil) inspired dinner tonight - salmon “alla bruschetta” with red cabbage-fennel slaw:

7 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Curious if this is like the whole sour tomatoes they gave at New York delis.

@shrinkrap had made some Tomato
Chokha / Choka on the roasted tomatoes thread:

I still need to try it!

3 Likes

No, it is a pickle I can from sliced green tomatoes, peppers, onion, mustard seed, horseradish, vinegar, sugar, black pepper and celery seed.

1 Like

I’m sure somewhere on these threads someone already has posted bruschetta with fresh mozz, but that’s what we had for lunch today. Our first of the summer … it was heaven.

I’ll be baking bread tomorrow and hording my basil for more of the same.

9 Likes

Ah. Thank you.

Some more ideas from the NYT.

1 Like

Nice! I might try the salad with chickpeas.
NYT “gift” link in case there’s a paywall

2 Likes

Today’s gazpacho. Mostly the NYT recipe, but also bits of the others , with olive oil drizzled in to the blender after going through a fine sieve.

4 Likes

I still have tomato shrub from last season, and i might make more. Has anyone tried tomato shrub, or tomato shrub gastrique?

1 Like

If you’re anywhere near Bavaria, I envy you.
The Sonoran desert isn’t exactly the market basket for America, and that’s an understatement. But in Nurnberg and other towns when we were there I saw a lot of farmers’ markets that had some of the most incredible produce and the biggest variety that I’ve ever seen. I’d stand there like a dog seeing a big steak while being dragged away to continue the forced death march through the rest of the city since nephew was on a weight loss quest and I had an undiagnosed case of heart failure, so I swore the whole time under my breath. Oops, I digress. But it was truly the trip of my lifetime.

1 Like