Tomato Season - the Master Thread

Done! I also moved the posts from the now-locked 2017 thread over, but they are not appearing chronologically. Let me know if this causes confusion and I will move them back.

2 Likes

This is fine.

1 Like

Could we have gone the other way to preserve chronology, as there were more posts there?

Anyway I’m fine with this becoming the master thread with a link to the other one, or making that the master and adding the new responses to the bottom there (assuming the title could just be edited to remove the year).

Didn’t mean to create a Thing, sorry!

1 Like

Possibly - let me try it. The forum software has endless functionality, some of which I have still not fully explored!

ETA - Mission accomplished!

3 Likes

Thanks @biondanonima . Looks good.

1 Like

This Tomato Choka works for this thread as well as CARIBBEAN - Summer 2022 (Jul-Sept) Cuisine of the Quarter

1 Like

I make green tomato pickle. It is marvelous on cold meats.

2 Likes

Ready for this seasons sandwiches! And trying some new packaging.

8 Likes

The other night I made an all tomato frittata. I’ll bet it would be good with a layer of green tomatoes in there.

2 Likes

Looks like you’re all set for sammiches and BLTs :wink:

1 Like

When I first came here to Oregon I found a lady who made green tomato ketchup.
It was wonderful.
I’ve never found any since.
Has anyone ever made it?
Lots of recipes.
For instance

2 Likes

salsa casera
BLT
tomato slices olive oil, salt, basil
simple spaghetti with tomato, olive oil, garlic, sweet peppers and basil (lot of fresh basil)

Bout it so far. Haven’t gotten a ton yet.

1 Like

So I’ve wondered about this for years. How is tomato soup (not gazpacho but the warm/traditional with grilled cheese type) really different from tomato sauce that you’d put on pasta? Onion/garlic sauteed in oil. Add tomatoes and/or paste. Add herbs if desired. Cook for awhile. Puree if you want or leave chunky. Add cream if desired (vodka sauce anyone)? Soup and sauce: aren’t they really one and the same?

1 Like

Canned tomato soup is much sweeter than tomato sauce.

I wrecked a dish recently by using some leftover condensed Campbell’s tomato soup in a pasta dish.

But I think sugar can be, or can not be, an ingredient in either soup or sauce, depending on one’s preference for sugar level. So to me, that isn’t really a distinction between the two…

1 Like

Agree, which is why I have always found tomato soup to be kind of weird. I know that canned tomato soup tends to be a lot sweeter than pasta sauce, and most tomato soups are a bit thinner than the average pasta sauce, but still. Tomato basil soup especially. I love tomato-based pasta sauces but I don’t want to eat them with a spoon.

1 Like

I don’t mind eating any of it with a spoon, and I like dunking sandwiches in the soup. But how can these be the same thing and yet everyone refers to them as 2 separate things? It’s not like chicken broth and chicken gravy are the same… 2 dishes, 2 uses. Whereas tomato soup-sauce - could be interchangeable. Weird.

2 Likes

My tomato sauce is never as soupy as my tomato soup. They’re def not interchangeable in my household.

3 Likes

So consistency is different. What about ingredients or cooking method?

1 Like

I often use a little chicken stock as my base for soup, def not for sauce. I keep my sauce on the chunkier side (I don’t strain like I might with soup).

For sauces, I tend to add more olive oil. Sometimes I just blister cherry tomatoes in that oil, along with anchovies (which I rarely add to my tomato soup).

Occasional similarities: the use of onion, garlic, oregano or basil.

1 Like