Thoughts on pumpkin

Toss roasted roasted cubes with garlic herb butter (sage and thyme are good here) and serve with burrata and toasted bread. Either as a bruschetta or as a tartine (or just on a platter and folks can build their own in front of the tv, probably what would happen here).

If burrata is not available, ricotta would work too. Or Boursin.

4 Likes

Some Caribbean cultures add pumpkin to their curries and stews.

Iā€™ve enjoyed this type of German Cream of Pumpkin soup a few times, often topped with pepitas.

From a Canadian expat blogger living in Switzerland

Pumpkin Alpine-style Mac & Cheese

2 Likes

For me, pumpkin is used in savoury dishes, not sweet.
Thai red pumpkin curry is something you just have to try
Congee (bubur), freestyle, anything savoury with sort of overcooked rice. Sounds odd, but is very nice
Iā€™ve pickled pumpkin as well,
And slice thin, use in a stir fry
Soups, stews
Cut in slices and on the grill, sprinkled with a little oil and spices.
In a drip pan, with onions and (sweet) potato, under that spatchcocked or rotisserie chicken
Iā€™m sure I can come up with more, given a little more time

1 Like
1 Like

Weā€™re good for a few batches of pancakes using this as a base doctored up

1 Like

This pumpkin strudel caught my eye

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkVjnddoIrK

1 Like

Lidia Bastianich had a pumpkin and cranberry strudel in one of her cookbooks.

2 Likes

Cooked then sauteed in brown butter with shallots, sage and diced tart apple. Serve over cheese ravioli.

2 Likes

Another pumpkin hatah here. The only way I can eat that stuff is in pumpkin cream soup, like the one @Phoenikia posted. With a nice splash of pumpkin seed oil, crĆØme fraĆ®che, toasted pumpkin seeds, and enough salt & pepper to not make it taste like sweet baby food anymore.

1 Like

My Italian side of the family always made this dish to go with our Christmas Eve fish and homemade pasta feast. No measurements to speak of. Fill a 13x9 baking dish with cubed pumpkin. Add grated Parmesan, Italian breadcrumbs (not a lot), s&p and enough olive oil to moisten. Stir to combine and bake at 325* until pumpkin is tender. Five minutes before taking it out of the oven pour a shot glass full of apple cider vinegar over the top.

1 Like

I always thought the Halloween pumpkins werenā€™t great for eating. Pumpkin dishes or foods that Iā€™ve enjoyed (admittedly did not cook these myself):

Kaddo - an Afghan dish of baked pumpkin with sugar. Sounds sweet but it works. So good at the restaurant.

Pumpkin congee - just gets blended in with your regular congee, so itā€™s orange pumpkin base

Pumpkin pasta sauce!

Roasted pumpkin soup

Pumpkin worked into dough so itā€™s used in whatever you make with that dough. Iā€™ve had it made into Chinese style jian bing.

Stir fried or ā€œbraisedā€ pumpkin

EDIT: Found an online recipe of the Afghan dish! Itā€™s the same restaurant where I had it.
https://food52.com/recipes/37497-kaddo-afghan-pumpkin-with-yogurt-and-tomato-sauces

2 Likes

Loved it in SF too! Take a look at the fascinating story of the family if you havenā€™t come across it already-- I had no idea until a couple of years ago.

2 Likes

The jack o lantern pumpkins tend to contain more water than pie pumpkins, so they arenā€™t as good for cooking or baking.

2 Likes

Lol, I do remember a bit of background about them, and their relationship to the former Afghanistan president. I didnā€™t know about all the other restaurants with the same name until a few years ago. I did find it strange why they all had to give their restaurant the same name. :laughing:

1 Like

I love pumpkin congee! Pumpkin pancakes from Hunan restaurants are really delicious, too.

2 Likes

Another favorite pumpkin treat are picarones. Ideally itā€™s pumpkin and sweet potato, but since I lack the correct sweet potatoes here, Iā€™ve made do with just pumpkin. Still delicious!

3 Likes

Hereā€™s a thought on pumpkin.

I never realized how many pumpkin-centric treats there were for dogs.

Who knew.

1 Like

This looks good https://theguardian.com/food/2021/jan/25/20-best-curry-recipes-amy-and-emily-chung-pumpkin-curry

This was pretty good when I made it earlier this year (I swapped the pork out for shrimp):

1 Like

Those look delicious

1 Like