ThermoPop, are you still happy with that?

I would like to know those who owned a ThermoPop, are you still happy with it? Do you recommend it?

I would like something cheaper than a Thermapen, and good for taking meat temperature. I have a laser thermometer, the probe part broke down. Recently, I bought a mechanical one, but not used to imprecise temperature anymore and prefer a digital one, so I will return that one to the store.

Thanks.

@Chemicalkinetics

Do you recommend those? (for cooking)

I use the pop all summer while grilling. I found it very reliable. I have also gifted the pop to several people who have been happy with it. For my purposes, home cook who just doesnt want to over grill meats, the pop has helped.

My oven has a temp reader accessory so I use the pop just for the grill.

1 Like

Thanks for your feedback. A practical question, do you need to change battery often?

I grilled nearly daily this summer to keep the kitchen cooler, sometimes twice a day. I changed the battery once. So two batteries a season. Not bad.

1 Like

I have the Thermopop ($34) and it’s pretty good. I also have the Lavatools Javelin ($27), and the Lavatools Javelin Pro ($54). I like the Lavatools Javelin Pro best, then the regular Lavatools Javelin, Thermopop would be next.

ThermoWorks has a new very inexpensive model out, the ThermoPro TP18 ($18). I haven’t tried it yet, so I can’t comment. But I plan to order one to check it out.

Thanks for your comparison. I live in France. Strangely, both Lavatools Javelin (75 €+) and Javelin Pro (90€+) are sold on Amazon.fr but more expansive compared to Thermapen 3 starting from around 59€.

ThermoWorks range looks affordable around 20€+, I will have a look.

For reference, Thermopop is selling around 27€ here.

Have you tried buying on Amazon USA and having it shipped? I have bought on Amazon England and had the item shipped and is was much cheaper than the same item on the US Amazon site.

1 Like

I use my ThermoPop a few times a week and really like it. I would definitely purchase is again. I probably change the batteries once or twice a year.

1 Like

Thanks, will definitely check in .de and .uk too, if not .com in US.

Thanks everybody for the input. Bought the red Thermopop for £16 ( +£6 shipping to Fr). Amazon fr is out of stock due to Christmas, (and they had only the white ones). I just placed the order on eBay with a UK seller, wait impatiently and will post back.

2 Likes

My red Thermopop arrived today from UK from ETI! For a test, I boiled some water, while the water was bubbling at boiling point, Thermopop kept resetting or refreshing (?!) all text on the screen, only when I stopped heating, it started to measure the temperature, 101ºC initially and quickly to 100ºC. I guess there might be a slight 1ºC of difference, which I can accept. I will do more test.

When I compared to my laser thermometer, there is a constant 5-6º C of difference. Interesting to know the surface reading is so different.

First impression, it is doing its job alright.

2 Likes

Glad to hear it.

My ThermoPop worked fine, until recently. When I switched it on, the temperature could be extremely low like 40F and not the room temperature. Or while using it, the temperature could be correct at a few seconds, then suddenly displayed a much lower temperature like 45F and switched back to the right temperature for another few seconds and bounced back to a lower temperature again. The product has never been hit or dropped.

Well I bought it in December of 2018. Contacted the repair service, they said it is out of its warranty period, also it has now been discontinued and replaced with Thermastick thermometer.

I think probably I will get a thermapen… or something that can last longer.

1 Like

I hasten to add that I don’t use a Thermopop, but I do use Thermoworks Dots and RT 600s. The Thermopop should tell you if the battery is low, but I would change it regardless based on what you describe. At worst, you will end up with a spare battery