The flu. Ugh. Using a meat thermometer to check your temperature

But I’ve learned that in a pinch you can use a meat thermometer to take your temperature. 102.6. Am I done?

Well, first, it depends where you put the thermometer in. :slight_smile: Second, most meat thermometer is not calibrated nicely at the low end (your body) temperature, so it can be inaccurate. Third, many meat thermometers have a fairly inaccurate for body temperature measurement. For a meat thermometer +/- 1 oF is considered pretty accurate for cooking, but a +/- 1 oF can be scary for fever measurement.

This one, for example, has a +/- 1.9 oF (essentially 2 oF)
"MORE ACCURATE: Habor Digital Kitchen Thermometers has Sensitive Sensor Chip and Thin Probe Tip, which control error range ±1.8℉.This is a very excellent performance! "
https://www.amazon.com/Habor-Instant-Read-Meat-Thermometer/dp/B01DISPQJ0/

"ACCURATE READING:GDEALER meat thermometer with temperature range of -58°F ~ 572°F (-50°C ~ 300°C), accurate to ±1℃(±2℉) between -50~200℃(-58℉~392℉),±2℃/℉ more than 200℃/392℉. "
https://www.amazon.com/GDEALER-Waterproof-Thermometer-Calibration-Function/dp/B077N9T555/

Thanks for the info. I’m sure mine is not accurate for checking the flu. I placed it under my tongue for one minute. I have a regular thermometer but I somehow messed up the settings and can’t get it to work. I’m feeling lousy so I may head to the doc soon.

1 Like

As always please consult a dr and do not rely on any information on this site in lieu of medical advice!

7 Likes

As when cooking chicken, you need to jam it into the thickest part of your thigh to get an accurate reading.

:smiling_imp:

Hope you feel better soon!

20 Likes

:joy::rofl::joy:
You win the internet today!!!

3 Likes

Oh man that sucks. Definitely see a dr!
I came down with a really nasty cold myself this weekend but so far doesn’t seem to be the flu that’s going around. I think it helps to clorox wipe every surface you touch regularly ince or twice a day at your apartment and basically just lots of rest and nourishing liquids.

Thanks. Feel better soon. The reason I asked about where you measure your temperature is that you can get different readings.

Quote:
The average normal oral temperature is 98.6°F (37°C).
A rectal temperature is 0.5°F (0.3°C) to 1°F (0.6°C) higher than an oral temperature.
An ear (tympanic) temperature is 0.5°F (0.3°C) to 1°F (0.6°C) higher than an oral temperature.
An armpit (axillary) temperature is usually 0.5°F (0.3°C) to 1°F (0.6°C) lower than an oral temperature.
A forehead (temporal) scanner is usually 0.5°F (0.3°C) to 1°F (0.6°C) lower than an oral temperature.

1 Like

OMG LOL :joy::joy:! Too funny