The flip side of ditching three things

Do you have a few, say three, things that would be irreplaceable, perhaps for sentimental reasons, perhaps because you find them just incomparably good, perhaps because they were huge splurges and you would not do something so over the top now, perhaps because with the changes over time you simply could not reliably replace them if they were gone, whatever…?

I know I could go to eBay or Etsy and replace them, but three for me that tic all the boxes, being really good at what they do, very sentimental, very attractive, and somewhat hard to replace would be my first piece of heavy copper, a hammered 3mm tin lined size 24 sauté pan, an ancient and highly patinated ten inch chef knife, and a South American ceramic baking dish that is oval and has a pig face on one end.

7 Likes
  1. Mugs–most noteworthy a ceramic set from historic Williamsburg.

2. My “historic” nakiri knife.

3. A teak all purpose plate that serves both as base for hot dishes, and an emergency cutting board.

4. Gifted ceramic baking dish

3 Likes

I don’t think I do :thinking:
I’m going to ponder this. I seem to be doing a lot of pondering lately.
:slight_smile:

5 Likes

The three things I mentioned on the other thread that my mom got me. Don’t use them; but can’t chuck 'em. Other than that I can not live without:

1. 10 inch (8B) CI skillet. Was my grandma’s, and I use it allll the time.

2. Chinese cleaver that I got with my wok set back in the day (1984ish). My first foray into cooking and the love lives on.

3. I have a small copper saucier I inherited, that I like to keep. Never use it, though.

I don’t get too attached to things cooking.

2 Likes

This is insensitive to the millions of refuges around the world.

Ask this question to Ukrainians.

I hope never to be without my flat bottomed, carbon steel wok that I bought from Joyce Chen in 1980. Also- a Spanish clay au gratin casserole, and my stalwart Le Creuset Dutch oven.

1 Like

What?

2 Likes

If you truly believe so and the moderators concur, I am fine with having the thread removed.

Edited addition: If this is truly the case, can the same not be said for the entirety of HO? If it was posted in jest in the slightest, THAT is insensitive.

8 Likes

Grandma’s demitasse spoons and forks. They were a wedding gift to her in 1948, and now live in my kitchen. In addition to being a beautiful MCM design, they are the perfect size for getting capers and anchovies out of the jars. And when I was a little kid, I used the tiny spoons to eat ice cream.

Kitchen Aid tri ply saucepan. I bought this at a WS outlet many years ago and this style has been discontinued. It’s perfect for custard, rice, small batches of soup or sauce. I use it nearly every day. It was my first piece of tri ply and I absolutely love it.

“Relax” mug. I got this in a set at at now-shuttered Macy’s on a clearance table. The other mug said “Perk Up”. Of course that one broke :slight_smile: But “relax” is my morning coffee cup and I baby it. It holds the right amount, the sides are slightly flared, and the handle is super comfortable.

2 Likes

I did not think this thread or the one before it. Too much 1st world issues. You can go to the internet…Where can a refugee shop?

I recently volunteered for a while……

1. Espresso maker
  2. A heavy skillet for steak
  3. Highball glass

@Vecchiouomo - There’s an alarming percentage of people who no longer has control over their emotion that they need everyone else to do for them by changing to their cause de jour. There’s an epidemic of people being offended and need to be accommodated. Nothing pains some as the idea of having to think.

1 Like

Your badge is in the mail. This website and thread is for voluntary participation. Feel free not to participate if the topic is offensive.

3 Likes

Don’t volunteer for a while. Make it a regular lifelong passion.

2 Likes

Three most valued and difficult to replace cookware for me are:

1. Watanabe Nakiri – excellent knife. It is a custom thin blade made by Watanabe Shinichi. It works great and will be difficult to replace.
  2. Chan Chi Kee knives – I have more than one CCK knives. They are all great, so I want to put them here as a group.
  3. Hand hammered wok – excellent wok, and it will be difficult to replace as well.

Honorable 4th and 5th
4) Tiger Thermal Magic cooker. It help me a lot in making the low heating (just below boiling) stock
5) Pine butcher block. It is the best cutting board I have had

1 Like

I can only imagine JMat was responding to another post, and accidentally posted it here. It seems a huge leap of faith from your post to his post.
Edited: I read more now. I was wrong.

2 Likes

This post is probably the least “1st world issues” post here at HungryOnion. It simply asks what do people like the most in their kitchen. It is a relatable question to everyone. There are plenty other posts resemble “The best 3-stars Michelin Restaurant” or “Truffle price has increased”. There is an active post about “Why I hate Red Lettuce”.

4 Likes

Perhaps we should donate all unwanted cookware to various 3rd world countries like when they get bales of Super Bowl loser’s teeshirts.

2 Likes

I wonder if we should buy more cookware from non-first world countries – less from first world countries, like Made in USA or Made in German cookware. Anyway, here some beautiful cookware from Ukraine:

2 Likes

Being a lone Spanish speaker in an area filled with refugees, I doubt I’d know any that even might be offended. They have favorite cooking items, too. This is why, anything they need, I can find for them, usually for nothing. Oh, and if you take a peek at my name, maybe you’ll make out from where my father’s side descended. My dad’s barber is Ukrainian, and noticed my dad’s (and, obviously, mine) last name right away. When I go to visit, I’ll have to ask if any of the folks he talks to in the Ukraine would be offended by conversation involving items we’d rather not live without. You kidding, here?

2 Likes

The refugees by me, I see in stores all the time. We get them jobs , they work, then they buy food, Walmart crap, just like people who’ve lived here for many generations. Then they acclimate to our evil first world. Everyone’s money is good where I shop. Just got 3 new (lovely) Nicaraguan families in September. Kinda cool, I see them in the store, they wave to me, we chat. I love to see these great folks arrive in this tiny town and acclimate to the best sides of the USA; where people put people before things.

Just had Nicaraguan stuffed potatoes the other night. That was excellent.

Great refugee story. Last year we took in a lovely 11 YO girl from Nicaragua. Nicest kid you ever met. Only one in her class who spoke only Spanish; which is rare here. We have many a Mexican and Guatemalteco kids, so this class is rare. She loved our school, kids loved her, but still felt the depression of not picking up English in 10 minutes. First year is haaard. One fine day, I get a call from a woman down the road who was helping out a girl in that district who was suffering, and absolutely hated it in the bigger school. She came to visit our school. I gave her and mom the tour. She liked our school. I said, “wait, here comes a surprise for you.” Went down the hall and got the other girl. They have been inseparable since. One small change really helped two wonderful young women. I think I would give all my cookware, knives and junk to see them graduate together.

But, yeah, they’d give a pinch of shit if they knew we were talking about cookware we’d pitch or never part with.

Might want to dismount the ethical high horse for a moment.

Last year we had 13,000 Afghanis at Ft McCoy, 2 miles from my residence. Churches, local orgs all came in to help out. They really didn’t need to shop; but were free to travel wherever. Now, most are gone to other locales; but they seemed pretty happy to be here and you don’t need a translator to detect gratitude.

If you don’t like this thread, tuffshitskyy (what they say in Ukraine).

8 Likes