The diminishing SF food forum scene?

A day in Richmond, B.C. with greyelf was one delight followed by another - all day - ending with a spectacular dinner after noshing at food stall snacks…Hainanese Chicken Rice and roast duck all afternoon, force fed by choice. Van/Richmond, B.C. tops my list on our road trip from SF-Portland-Seattle-Van.
At the U.S. Customs checkpoint, our car was a culinary diversion for our inspector as he searched our load of groceries with genuine curiosity. I have not replenished any of my Richmond,B.C. shopping spree on Clement Street/Irving St./Chinatown or 99Ranch Market because I can’t find them here in the U.S.

Montreal for cheese and Fairmount bagels?

FYI- Montreal hounds just learned about this forum this week. A number joined- please feel free to engage with them.

1 Like

ST. VIATEUR BAGELS, Cynsa, and yes, cheese. And smoked meat, And (gasp) poutine. And Lebanese. And Dave McNally. And Martin Picard. And Marche Jean-Talon. And horse sashimi and moules frites . And lobster fests. And Premiere Moisson walnut levain, And ice wine. And…

2 Likes

for some reason i cant reply to barleywino directly, but i believe the place being talked about was a new edomae sushi joint in san mateo. i can’t recall the name now (irony…) but if you google edomae sushi in san mateo, it will be the one that is not sushi sam. very japanese sounding name.

1 Like

Best baklava on the continent, at Mahrouse.

Thanks, FD. It just seemed really insensitive of the posters to post publicly but refuse to name the place they were talking about.

yep. i called them out publicly on it. melanie was kind enough to “reveal” the name, which was greatly appreciated, though i still haven’t made it there yet.

All y’all are talking about a version of “insider trading”. On the other hand the cleansing effect of bright sunshine is Yogi Berra’s creed: “Nobody goes there anymore. It’s too popular.”

great! Montreal is now my next destination.

Wait until Spring, though, unless you like spending your time in underground shopping malls.

1 Like

The place across the street from the Warehouse is the Bull Valley Inn, or was, 40 years ago when I hung out there. That’s when the legendary Juanita Musson ran the Warehouse.

1 Like

Hi Souperman (and old CH Bay Area friends!)

I never knew that you grew up in QC… I’m a Montreal ex-pat myself. I just want to chime in and say that I’ve always really enjoyed reading your posts on the other forum and I think your blog is especially wonderful & it’s served me well over the years, so thank you for your contributions!

I dumped CH (for the most part) some time ago because the topics and conversation grew tired. I’m very glad to have stumbled upon this community thanks to an LA Times article that popped up in a recent Google search.

Just wanted to say “hi”

2 Likes

Not to steer discussion too far off-topic, but feel free to message me if you’d like any suggestions or advice… I flew back to visit family for two weeks this past fall, discovered a handful of new places and had many terrific meals. If only we could figure out how to import some of that great Lebanese, Greek and Portugese food to the Bay Area!!

1 Like

Actually I grew up in Massena, NY, across the river from Cornwall ON. But so close to Canada we kids would ride our bikes to Cornwall to smuggle firecrackers back. Montreal was the closest big city, and I grew up watching CBMT and CBFT and as a fan of the Canadiens, Alouettes, Royals and “Votre Soiree e Lutte.”

Loads of info on where to buy cheese in Montreal:

1 Like

Thanks! Just finished the post. That one took a bit of time to write :smile:

Funny to mention it. My grandfather was a soundguy for wrestling shows at Radio Canada (he was one of the first employee of the TV station). My grandmother had a life long fascination with wrestling and insisted (insisted!) on getting her wrestling fix on sundays at 12 during the 80’s.

Like the legendary Edouard Carpentier used to say: “À la semaine prochaine, si dieu le veux!” :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Don’t hesitate to visit the Quebec board and ask questions. I have a few project on the fire that might help visitors.

1 Like

Ah very cool… my step-grandfather (K. Kitman) played ball for the Royals, same year as Jackie Robinson! As a result, I grew up knowing all the local sports heroes and weekday dinners were often “toasties” and a cold root beer from our season perch above the dugout between first and home plate at Expos home games… I became adept at scribbling out my homework between innings! : )

1 Like