The Big Ole NJ Steak Thread

Jr, I haven’t had one in a while but they will serve you a hot plate with garlic butter at salt creek. It’s the best dish on the menu but if I recall, you now have to ask for it that way (NY strip)

I still want to tackle that 60oz Mar Belo ribeye. I need to be mentally prepared for that though :slight_smile:

Yeah that place is on my “to-do” list too, I would invite you to another challenge but remember how that went at Apella!

2 Likes

Luger’s cooks it, let’s it rest, and then pops it under the broiler again just before serving.

So they do let it rest.

Best deal at Luger is lunch for the prime rib or burger, dinner is kind of poser ville these days.

If you are dissapointed in the beef these days that has more to do with the feedlots than the aging process.

At Piccola Italia in Ocean

Thursday, March 8, 2018 – 7:00 pm
$110/Person Plus Tax & Gratuity
*Wine Flight Available at $38/person + Tax & Gratuity

Reservations Required: 732-493-3090

If you like steak, then you NEED to come to this event! We will have a Rep, from Allen Brothers, discussing the cuts of meat, drying process and answering questions, AND we will have a Rep to talk about the specially-chosen wine fights available, as well. This is going to be a great dining experience!

FAMILY-STYLE MENU:

Course 1
Wedge Salad
Marinated Grape Tomatoes, Candied Bacon, Sourdough & Gorgonzola Crouton, Gorgonzola Dressing

North Country Double Smoked Candied Bacon
Vermont Maple Syrup

Baked Clams
Chorizo, Parmesan Bread Crumb

Course 2
-PRIME, 30-DAY DRY AGED NEW YORK STRIP
-PIEDMONTESE TOMAHAWK STEAK
-FLAT SIRLOIN “BAVATTE”

Sides:
Creamed Spinach
Country Whipped Potato
Beer Battered Onion Rings
Vermont Cheddar Mac & Cheese

Sauce:
Port Wine Reduction
Horse Radish Cream
Bernaise

Course 3
Chocolate & Whiskey Tart with Fresh Whipped Cream
Rum Raisin Bread Pudding with Anglaise, Vanilla Gelato

Wine Flights
Four Graces Pinot Gris, Odjfell Orzada Cabernet & Carigman

2 Likes

I got this baby at One 18 Bistro (Old Mr. C’s location before they moved to Allenhurst Beach Club), thanks to my friend Eddie Goldberg. (he might have cut me a generous portion)

3 Likes

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Fernandes Steakhouse 3, South Amboy NJ

Maybe its out of nostalgia, but my favorite steak has always been and currently is a filet mignon cooked up at Portuguese Manor in Perth Amboy. They don’t give how many ounces it is, but I guess eight or ten. They always cook it however you order it. There is one version covered in ham and a garlic-wine sauce (pictured below). Another comes served flaming, in a booze-laced mushroom sauce which is just to die for. Of course, it comes with the usual saffron rice, potatoes, and vegetables. They are around $20 (which just went up from $17, which they had been at for most of my life). I’ve been coming here since I was a kid. The food never changed. Same waiters and matre’d’s. The decor is unchanged as well. Some might call it dated, but to me it just works. I’ve posted too many links to my blog today, so you’ll have to wait for my full review at a later time. :slight_smile: (They also have wonderful seafood dishes. From the ubiquitous paella to a spicy seafood stew called zarzuela).

20160519_195829

As a side note, Bahama Breeze in Woodbridge once cooked up an amazing steak. Not just for a chain, but period. I usually order rare. Places always mess it up. Either they don’t know how to cook it or are afraid too. They freakin’ nailed it.

bh4

2 Likes

Have you been to the Armory lately? I’ve had a coupe lunch appointments there and they did a nice job on the re-build post Sandy. In the summer they have an outside band and music, could be a nice summer escape from the crowds in our Monmouth County backyards.

1 Like

I was only at the Armory once, pre-Sandy. From what I remember, it was very good. I just don’t remember what I ate. :smiley:

I’m pretty sure Fernandes 3 has hurt their business. After going there once I was really impressed. In fact, I will probably only go to 2 for family events now.

Has anyone been to Neil michaels? For 44 bucks a dry aged 22oz cowboy can be had. Not cheap, but I love good dry aged meat. My last dry aged steak at char was kind of disappointing for 60 bucks, and I didn’t even pay for it. I thought a 55 day age would have been a lot better than this but then again, you can put anything on paper.

So here is my question @NotJrvedivici , is the grand tavern 125 ribeye going to top 2 tile ribeyes and 4 martinis? Lol

1 Like

hahahaha you’re killing me!!! Honestly I would think probably not. Here’s why; from what I’ve seen the Grand Tavern is far from fine dining. Not saying Fernandes is, however at Grand Tavern prices I could be in Manhattan getting top notch ambiance and service. Fernandes offers better service and ambiance at half the price so for me they would win even if their product is of lesser quality.

That said, I’m ready willing and able to try Grand Tavern anytime

I am game too but I think maybe the Mar Belo 60oz could be a good call.

I’m doing the math in my head. 125 for maybe a 40 or possibly up to 50oz tomahawk at Grand tavern. This is vs 2 Fernandes tile ribeyes at probably 70oz or so total, and some shrimp…with the “coolness” factor of the hot butter sizzling on a tile.

So 125 vs 74 for two steaks with shrimp. So you have about 50 to work with to get up to the single tomahawk. That’s a few good drinks or a few nice apps. After the bread and salad bar at Fernandes, you technically don’t need too much more. On paper I’m giving it to Fernandes but then again, the grand tavern ribeye could be a life changing cut of meat lol

Does anyone have a clue what this beast runs at Mar belo?

We ate at the Grand Tavern recently. I found their lack of pretension refreshing. I can’t eat ambiance but we did thoroughly enjoy the tomahawk. I prefer a simply presentation and their French fries are about perfect.

2 Likes

Nice. How much did it weigh?

Hahahahaha…I read this too fast and read it as; “How much do you weigh”…I’m thinking why the f’ is CJ asking Wayne how much he weighs???

deleted

The menu said, “42 oz, 30 day dry-aged côte du bœuf tomahawk steak” and I have no reason to doubt any of the words. Served perfectly sliced, nestled in along side of the bone.

1 Like

Was it served in it’s natural juices pooled on the plate (maybe some butter?) or was it served after it “rested” on a clean /dry plate?

I remember @coldbeer70 saying this steak is pretty damn awesome. He posted a pic I believe