Thanksgiving 2021

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!
I’m slow-roasting a small turkey today using this recipe. So far, more golden than my usual turkeys!

Look forward to seeing your Thanksgiving meals next month!

12 Likes

Hope you have a happy and delicious Canadian Thanksgiving!

2 Likes

Happy Thanksgiving to our Canadian friends!

1 Like

Happy Thanksgiving! We are - born in the UK, lived years and years and years in Canada, back in the UK. So here in the UK no one has a clue about Canadian Thanksgiving and even our friends in the USA are ‘you have Thanksgiving?’ and ‘Isn’t it the same day as ours?’ - it’s a puzzlement to all…but us. We have no one to share it with but each other and this year we ‘accidentally’ got a medium chicken (serves 3-4) to roast and decided to have a festive meal yesterday. Roast chicken, roast potatoes and brussels sprouts, a mushroom and apple stuffing (cooked outside the bird and usually made with pork loin, but we like it), some cranberry sauce (no cranberries on sale so it’s the have-no-choice too-sweet-and-jammy jarred sauce from the shop) and the rare chance to make Real Gravy from the chicken juices. We wolfed it down, but are not big eaters, so there are several chicken leftovers meals to go! We opted for a lazy supermarket tiramisu for dessert and tried not to think about pumpkin pie and Cool Whip. Yum.

10 Likes

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! Roast chicken is our favorite when my husband and I have a Thanksgiving for two.

Last year I tried a turkey breast from a locally raised bird. Meh. We decided we’ll stick with a larger, locally raised chicken instead when it’s the two of us. We prefer the flavor, plus there’s gravy potential and later—excellent chicken stock from the carcass.

5 Likes

The marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes are a novelty for me- only the 2nd time I’ve had them!

Cauliflower cheese with old cheddar.

Not pictured:
Gravy made from pan juices and cornstarch
Cranberry sauce
Bread Stuffing, with apple, mushroom, raisins, dried apricots, onions, celery, sage, poultry seasoning, parsley, gizzards, butter, chicken bouillon
Red wine poached pears

Today, we will have leftovers, then praline-topped pumpkin pie.

13 Likes

Yum!

Do you add anything to prevent the cheddar from breaking?

1 Like

I haven’t ever had a problem with it breaking. Basic white sauce, grated cheddar (I use a rasp lately) added at the end, poured over cooked cauliflower, baked at 350 or 375 for 30 min

I added some nutmeg, paprika, dollop of Dijon and a dash of Worcestershire to the white sauce before adding the cheddar.

6 Likes

Hmm. Sometimes when in use old cheddar in melty things it breaks… doesn’t stop me from using it though haha

2 Likes

Agree- might depend on how old- this was a 1 or 2 year old local Ontario cheddar.

And it doesn’t bother me if a cheese was to break- Brie breaks on me, in other dishes!

I’ll add this- since Martha’s sauce would also be amazing on cauliflower. This is my favourite Mac& Cheese. This is also the only Martha Stewart recipe I’ve made and recommend over and over again! (Not that I’ve tried that many- just not that drawn to her persona)

1 Like

Adding previous Thanksgiving thread links:

6 Likes

Note to self and anyone else who may have experienced that turkey parts for advance gravy-making were scarce last year: I plan on buying either the necessary turkey parts or gravy from a turkey farm ahead of time.

Last year, I waited until a couple weeks before Thanksgiving and was out of luck at my hoped-for local sources. Might be easier to get the goods this year? We rarely allow ourselves gravy goodness so for this T’Day I’m planning further ahead.

3 Likes

The turkey looks AMAZING! I hope you and your family had a happy Thanksgiving!

I’ve already picked up a turkey breast at my local market and tucked it in my downstairs freezer, as I had read of supply chain issues potentially affecting availability in November.

I still don’t know what I’m doing for our U.S. holiday - 2 years ago, I was invited to my sister’s sister-in-law’s house, as we had just lost our mother a few days earlier, but I still ended up making my own turkey breast the Saturday after. Because…leftovers. :slight_smile: Last year, I just did my own thing (and she and her husband did the same at their cabin in Maine because…pandemic). This year, still not sure, but I know I’ll be making my own meal again some time that long holiday weekend.

6 Likes

What an absolutely gorgeous bird!!

1 Like

Made Tom Kha Turkey with my leftovers, some herbs and veg from the garden. Added noodles. Hit the spot.

Looked at a dozen online recipes- basically 4 cups broth, a thumbs sized piece of ginger (I had fresh ginger and my dried galangal is old), 1.5 cans coconut milk. 2 tbsp brown sugar, 2 tbsp fish sauce, -ma few hot peppers, dozen mushrooms, some green beans, 2 cups leftover turkey, cilantro, 4 sliced green onions, half a lime

9 Likes

Curious how folks’ thanksgiving menus are shaping up, as I live vicariously again this year…

What’s going to be on the table?

Apps / hors d’oeuvres?

Sides?

Turkey or other main?

Dessert overdose or no room?

2 Likes

Just ordered some baccala dried and salted cod . Planning on making a cioppino. No squid here . Crab is a outside shot . Will be adding clams and mussels. I have to seek out the fish frames for stock .That could be a little trouble. Toasted baguette with some rouille . Pumpkin pie.

6 Likes

Do you put the baccala in your cioppino?

I am going to . Would normally use a snapper. But here not much available. Turning it around. Rouille on the side.

1 Like

I’m toying with the idea of a mini thanksgiving meal, though I’m currently far away from any region of celebration. Reminiscent of last year, but a different crew.

Pan-roasted chicken, simple (vegetarian) stuffing, white (breadcrumb) gravy, brown gravy, some sort of roasted veg, and potatoes (either roasted with the chicken or maybe scalloped).

Appetites are smaller here, though, so if I want to do apps (I really love the long grazing of T-day) it would have to be a separate meal on a separate day :joy: Assorted crostini (smoked salmon, nice cheese, marinated italian vegetables) and a dip or two (there’s a garlicky white bean dip that would be a copycat for the one at my neighborhood wine bar). Maybe gougeres if I can figure out how to rig the toaster oven.

7 Likes