Thai Chicken Satay & Peanut Sauce

This is a fav, and I’d like to try and nail it at home. I know there are tons of recipes online (many of them essentially the same, some very different). But before experimenting, I thought I’d ask here for all of your best.

1 Like

Here’s a family favorite - given to my mother by an Indonesian colleague way back in the day. Definitely different from what you find in Thai restaurants, but supremely delicious IMO. The chunky peanut sauce is super addictive.

1.5 lb. meat (chicken, beef or pork)
1 t. turmeric
2 T. dark soy sauce
1 t. Ground cumin
1 clove garlic
1 t. salt
2 slices fresh ginger
1 T. sugar
1 small onion
2 T. Peanut oil
2 t. Ground coriander
3 T. roasted peanuts

Add all ingredients except meat to blender jar and blend to a smooth paste. Cut meat into straps and toss with paste; marinate meat at least one hour or overnight. Skewer and grill or broil until cooked through. Serve with peanut sauce.

Peanut Sauce:
1/2 lb. roasted peanuts, ground (I process in FP until lentil size or slightly smaller)
1 t. lemon juice
2 T. peanut butter
3 T. sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. Peanut oil
1 T. salt (reduce if using salted peanuts)
1 t. chili garlic sauce (sambal oelek)
2 c. water

Heat oil in deep skillet and saute garlic until lightly browned and fragrant. Add chili sauce, water, lemon juice sugar and salt and stir to combine; bring to a simmer. Add ground peanuts and peanut butter; stir well to dissolve peanut butter, then simmer 5-10 minutes until sauce is thick (Bolognese consistency) and peanuts are al dente.

4 Likes