Texas Roadhouse (Holmdel Location)

One of the reasons I have not been to a Texas Roadhouse in years. Never had a problem with food, but two straight visits of relentless pestering by the waitress if we wanted another drink thoroughly annoyed me. I think I was two sips into my beer and there was, “Would you like another?” This continued throughout the night. It’s a shame because this Holmdel location is a minute from where I live.

2 Likes

I concur on their pandemic family deals and their safe practices. I did curbside pick up a few times and was happy with each order.

1 Like

Well, we went to the Texas Roadhouse in Parlin for my birthday dinner (actually, lunch) yesterday and it will almost definitely be our last visit. Due to mobility/health issues, we don’t eat out very much, but in addition my baked potato was gritty, indicating not very good washing, and it was way too noisy. (Mark’s Parkinson’s has made his voice much quieter, and I could often not hear what he was saying.)

With Chinese and BBQ restaurants, take-out is an option, but I can’t see how taking out a steak is really going to work. :slight_smile:

I haven’t been to a Texas Roadhouse other than my local one here in Colorado, but noise has always been my main complaint. It’s just too damned loud to enjoy a meal.

This seems to be a problem with almost all the chains. When I think about the one-off, family-owned restaurants we go to, they’re all much quieter.

We stopped in at this location a few weeks ago for a quick drink since its close to the house. And quick it was: I had a Jack Daniel’s on the rocks (I didn’t think that was a martini kind of place) that was such a small pour that it would not have gotten an infant drunk. I think it was $12. I almost wanted to say something but after working in the industry for so long, I hate being “that guy”. Never a good sign when the bartender measures a pour of something of that caliber. If you don’t know how much two ounces is by look/feel/timing especially with a built-in pourer, you need a new line of work. A shame I don’t drink beer.

Their rolls are still amazing. We had fried pickles as well but WAY too salty. If I’m saying that, it’s a problem.

1 Like

I call the place Texas Roadkill. Mine is in Palm Coast, Florida

1 Like

The rolls really are outstanding. the rest of it is ok. It’s been some years since I went to one in Texas to treat a young cousin who was in college. It was his choice and I was happy he hadn’t chosen a high end place. The staff weren’t at all pushy, very friendly as people usually outside major metro areas.

1 Like

I’ll respond to my own post and say, it happened.

Justin and I both were craving their rolls. Debated just getting an order to go but figured we’d grab one drink. Thoroughly dissatisfied with my last experience, I said to myself YES, I WILL ORDER A MARTINI. And make it Bombay Sapphire. Let’s see what happens.

As it happened, this bartender knew what she was doing and it was excellent. Sure enough, a few minutes later, another one went by on a tray. Maybe I was wrong-- can’t judge a book, right?

He had a Shiner Bock.

The rolls, as always, were delicious. Them and a martini, I could probably live off that combo.

5 Likes

Went here for the first time ever. North plainfield location. Got the big ribeye, decent value at 30 bucks or so. It’s got that factory tenderizer flavor you only get at places like this. Overall I enjoyed it! Definitely not a steak aficionado place but the drinks are prices good and the rolls were great.

4 Likes

We have only experienced Texas Roadhouse once, nearly 20 years ago, but we have very fond memories. We were driving our months-old daughter from Boston to Ft. Lauderdale down I95, since her pediatrician said no airline travel until she was 1. There are long stretches where the dining options are…limited and predictable. I think it was in northern Florida that we stopped and decided on Texas Roadhouse as the least bad of the available options. Road weary and facing another long stretch, we were grateful for the chance to stretch our legs, at the least. The place was packed and rowdy, peanut shells littered the floor and hazy from cigarette smoke (still allowed then). The service was friendly, the food decent if not memorable, but the amazing thing was our infant daughter slept blissfully through the entire meal. She smelled like cigarettes when we left and we worried her grandmother would think we were mistreating her grandchild.

Not Holmdel, but I thought I would share. We have a warm spot for Texas Roadhouse.

6 Likes