Tall Order: Non-stick 12" skillet induction compatible (non-warping!) & broiler safe

Hello - I’m new here and also new to induction cooking (Cafe double-oven induction range). Been lurking on Chowhound reading old discussions and discovered this is a new site people like. So I thought I’d ask for recommendations. One thing I’m not loving about the new range is that you have to close the oven door for broiling (and baking) - the oven will shut down within a few seconds if the door isn’t closed. So my old method of making a frittata in a non stick skillet and sliding just the pan (not the handle) under the broiler for a few minutes won’t work. (My main cookware is All Clad and Le Creuset and just got a Demeyere skillet, but have always used non stick for eggs.) Have been looking at copper/ceramic, but some reviews complain about warping and sticking (I just had to return two Cuisinart double griddles because they both warped the first time I used them - not sure if it’s the glass cooktop or the induction burners). Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hi…welcome to the site!

I was curious and took on the challenge to see if there exists pans on the market that meet your tall order. And indeed they do! I have no experience with these but here’s a few that I’ve found:

3 Likes

wow - thank you so much! I’ve been searching for a couple of days with no luck. Will check these out! (I have to add - I even called local Williams Sonoma store and they said such a pan didn’t exist. Would love to know how you found these, seamunky. I’ve been lost in a thicket of google searches, I guess. thank you again!)

1 Like

https://www.zwilling.com/us/demeyere-alupro-12-inch-aluminum-nonstick-fry-pan/13630.html?cgid=cookware_skillets-fry-pans#prefn1=size&sz=24&start=25&prefv1=11"+to+13"

1 Like

Thank you! It seems there are way more choices than I realized - appreciate your help!

1 Like

Aluminum doesn’t work with induction, does it?

100% aluminum does not work with induction. The pan recommended by Chowdom is made with alloys that are conducive to induction, accordingly to their website.

You’re welcome. I searched “12 inch non stick skillet with metal handle”. From that I went to “Images” which is a super useful search tool. You can just see the pans and follow any leads from there instead of going to the websites and reading about each pan.

Here’s one that Williams Sonoma sells!
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/zwilling-forte-nonstick-fry-pan-set-10-and-12/

It looks to be all aluminum but it must be clad because it clearly claims induction compatible.

2 Likes

Oh I see that now! I got hung up on the name “Alupro” and the description “Made from extremely pure aluminum, the 5mm thick cold forged body”

Good to know!

1 Like

Hi mohom,

If you’re concerned about warping, I’d go lite on that full power switch–if you have one. A surge of induction power in a non cooking industrial setting can move an object across a room!

Ray

1 Like

Thanks! This range actually doesn’t have those. (The Cuisinart double griddle warped on sync burner medium heat first time we used it!)

Someone gave me a portable induction cooktop which came with a ceramic coated pan. It works OK with most things but eggs do stick a little if you don’t use any oil. More so that traditional non-stick pans. For a frittata I would probably use a well seasoned cast iron pan.

2 Likes

Any of these will definitely satisfy.

1 Like

I have a non-stick pan called the Green Pan. It’s not Teflon, supposed to be safe at high temperatures, has a metal, oven-safe handle, but is, I suspect, aluminum based. But they may have some induction-suitable models.

We use a Le Creuset skillet for frittatas and haven’t had any problems putting it under the broiler.

1 Like

One possibility is cast iron. Best is Griswold, which can be bought on eBay (it hasn’t been manufactured for decades, but still circulates). That or a new pan such as Lodge. Take care of it right and it won’t stick.

Second possibility, particularly if for once you’d like to buy a good piece but not throw your money away on fancy consumer brands like Allclad and Mauviel and others such as are always mentioned in threads like this, is true commercial grade stainless cookware sold under many brand names. You can get both coated and non-coated fry pans and non-coated saute pans from very small to very large. It is very good and very cheap and performs just as well as or better than the expensive consumer stuff. Google something like “commercial stainless fry pan” and follow what comes up. You will see restaurant supply web sites like KaTom or Web Restaurant Store. Same stuff is sold by various sellers on Amazon. Look around. Look for Update and Winco brand items – they are identical anyway. If you want to spend a little more look at Volrath (some made in the USA). There are many many brands (but few factories – all the brands get their stuff from the same producers). All of these are made (well) and priced (low) for restaurants but you can buy them too. Just be sure the description mentions the piece is induction ready. For example, the links below are to heavy induction-ready Stainless 9" and 12" non-stick fry pans – they work just as well as a high-end consumer pan for $100 to $200. They’re even less without the coating.

https://www.katom.com/080-SSFP9NS.html

https://www.katom.com/080-SSFP12NS.html

Thanks very much. I did have a Volrath pan, but it warped on my previous (electric) glass top stove, and they don’t have any kind of long-term warranty. I have to steer clear of cast iron, other than enameled. My old La Creuset dutch oven (with no enamel on the bottom ) just last night inflicted the first scratch on the cooktop (I didn’t realize just how susceptible to scratching this glass top is). Today, I came across Fissler as an option for replacing the La Creuset. It’s apparently less than Demeyere but I haven’t been able to find many pieces at U.S. sites.

That’s a pricey range you have there. I have a fairly new induction (it’s in our Florida beach shack – I have a BlueStar at home) but I cheaped out and got a Frigidaire for about $800. You see a pattern emerging there. Haven’t scratched the top yet, but though it’s shiny I don’t think it’s actual glass – I’ve looked closely but can’t tell just what it is. So far it cooks fine, in fact so fine that I have to keep an eye on it to prevent myself from burning things. I’m still learning.

Anyway take a look at those Winco or Update pans. You won’t be disappointed. Once upon a time I tried to sell them on eBay for a while (professional cookware for the home chef) but a little guy like me can’t compete with the big boys. But I’ve used them for years myself and have always found them to do the job very well.

I don’t know what the issue for you is with cast iron, but Griswold and others sold some pieces that were nickel plated. You still see them come up from time to time, although the plate is generally worn. Anyway it may be another possibility.

haha, I feel you. Yes, it was steep ($3300). After 17 years with an electric Maytag gemini (two oven) range, though, I didn’t want to go back to one oven, but was really intrigued by induction. The choices were few, so we splurged. But I totally get your pattern! :slight_smile: I will check out the Winco and Update, thanks. Issue with cast iron is, according to salesperson, if it doesn’t have enameled bottom, the ridges around the bottom will scratch if moved in the slightest or if dirty. I thoroughly scrubbed my poor old LC dutch oven’s non-enameled bottom, but somehow it still slid/moved just enough to scratch the cooktop, apparently.

Hmmm. Not sure what those ridges would be. Most CI pans have a very smooth bottom AFAIK. Some of them had what is called a “heat ring” which is a ridge around the edge which helped hold in heat (as from a gas or wood range) but most don’t have that and of course it would not help with induction. But other that that it’s not clear to me. In any case, given how much you laid out for that range, it’s clear you ought to be careful!