Taiwan - September

Posting a few interesting (to me) meals as we eat our way from Kaohsiung - Tainan - Taipei.

In Kaohsiung, we revisited a vegetable heavy hot pot restaurant. Fellow diners in monk robes definitely gives this spot some serious street cred. :slight_smile:

Offered a choice of regular or tumeric broth. We opted for both.

A bewildering variety of veggies, many never seen back home.

image image

Mushrooms, gourds, tofu many ways, baby corn and more. Plus a few delicious choices of noodles.

For the heathens, pick two proteins from choice of chicken/lfish/beef/“pork.

Finish with fresh yellow watermelon, dragon fruit, tofu fua, bean soup, ice cream, and more.

Second memorable meal here. At usd$15 pp, we’ll be back!!

7 Likes

Timely post! I will be adding mine very soon!

Are these meals from last trip or are you back in Taiwan at the moment?

When’s your trip?

Just left Tainan, on the road to Taipei as we speak.

No goose thus far, will try in Taipei.

Eating well, per usual. Nothing extraordinary to show. A few random photos.

1 Like

Try again. Posting from iPhone in bouncing car not so strong.

5 Likes

Since you had hot pot in Kaohsiung, give this steam hot pot a try in Taipei. We had it last year, it was great.

1 Like

Looks like Taiwan wasn’t affected by the typhoon, great!

The Storm Gods have treated us well. Transited through HKG just before the typhoon hit and locked the airport down.

Weather.com had been threatening inclement weather for the 2 months before/after our two week visit. We’ve not had to open an umbrella yet in the full week since we landed. Fingers crossed for streak to continue for another week.

2 Likes

What kind of ham is that? Like Yunnan-style ham? I’m more interested in dried roe. Taiwan does produce dried roe in the style of bottarga. Do you have any idea what it’s called in Chinese? I want to find it in Kaohsiung. If I can’t then I will try in HK.

Hainan chicken crisps are from Malaysia but I’m going to try them anyway. Will be there soon. I specifically wait until the typhoon season ends.

That is a Yunnan style ham. Back home, we regularly buy a whole Smithfield ham and vacuum pack freeze smaller portions.

We passed by a small “shop” in Lukang today selling dried roe. There was also a large table with roe sacs in various states of readiness soaking up the intense sun. I think my wife said these were Milkfish roe.

Pretty sure these would be available in Kaohsiung.

The eldest son of my wife’s best university roommate is getting married Sunday. We had to brave the elements to join in my first Taiwanese wedding party.

3 Likes

A meal at a 100 NT place is a must do for us. We made a third visit to one close to our Park Taipei Hotel.

100 NT restaurants are as the name suggests, places with a broad range menu with most dishes priced at 100 NT. Approximately usd $3.35 today.

We did splurge and had a beautiful live fish at ntd $300. Wonderful fish simply steamed, worth every bit of the $10 usd.

The rest of the dishes were all 100 NT.

Five veggies. Baby bamboo shoots.

Lamb stir fried with chives.

Bitter melon with salted egg, ong choy (water spinach) garlic stir fried. (no pic).

White water snowflake??? Pic from previous meal, and Costco.

image image

Tofu with salted egg. Cured tofu strips.

Deep fried chicken cartilage.

Three Cup Frog.

Braised snails.

Pork blood and intestines hot pot.

A sea bass like fish filet steamed and smothered with fried garlic chips, no pic.

Four ladies and myself almost finished everything. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In the Sogo in Taipei.

Thanks. I’ll keep it in mind if I ever go to Taipei again.

Saw an advert for (wholesale) dried roe in a magazine at a teahouse in Hsinchu that’s how I knew about the existence of this.

One of the courses last night had a roe component. I passed. Not particularly fond of cured roe.

1 Like

Over 10 years ago, I’d had dinner at the Taipei Fish Market. The market was a humble wet market, with a couple of restaurants that will prepare the seafood you select. I recall that I was very impressed with all the live seafood finning in the tanks, and the quick jump from the water to your table.

The Taipei Fish Market has moved upscale in the ensuing years. Housed in the same building, there is now a fancy supermarket for upscale groceries. A refurbished fish market with state of the art live tanks, cook-to-order food stations, sushi section, beer/wine/beverage, etc… and comfortable seating areas throughout so we can nosh on the beautiful prepared seafood and cooked items.

The market was fully stocked with King Crab, a luxury item especially enjoyed during the Harvest Moon Festival celebration.

A wide selection of prepared ready-to-eat sushi, as well as sushi chefs on hand for those who demand their sushi to be freshly cut and presented.

For the home cook, fresh fish for home prep. As well as other edibles, like Wagyu from Japan, cured fish roe, fresh vegetables, etc…

We had a dinner committment that evening, so could not indulge at the market. But next time…

4 Likes

Looked upscale, not much of a fish market. How do you think of the price?

Definitely a move from the wet market days. The prices were “reasonable”, so says my wife.

On this trip, we’d already hit wet markets in Kaohsiung, Tainan, Taipei and a few in between. This “market” was a change of pace, although frankly, I prefer the more street versions.

The style looks more Japanese supermarket than a traditional wet market, maybe not a bad thing.

You are very right. The Taipei Fish Market is now run by the Mitsui Food and Beverage Enterprise Group, a Taiwanese group. The market was transformed in July, 2012. Mitsui is considered in the highest esteem for Japanese cuisine within Taiwan.

http://www.mitsuitaipei.com.tw/en/home.html

We have spent hours window shopping the supermarkets in the basement of Japan department stores. That probably explains why we found this market appealing.

I’m a zombie. Took me 25 hours to get here*, and without any sleep. (*From the moment I left my house until the moment I arrived at my lodging in Taiwan.)

Arrived at HKG at 6am local time, my connecting flight was 2 hours later. It was freezing on the plane but as soon as I stepped out the heat hit me.

It’s been a long time Hong Kong, it’s good to be here again, albeit briefly. I will return at the end of the trip, though. Various water dispensers in a row. One on the far right is hot water. People need it for tea and cup noodle soup. I waited until everyone left so I could take a photo. A continuous stream of people queuing to fill their thermos and noodle cups.

Cathay finds a good connecting flight for me (DragonAir).

My nice fruits and sandwiches were binned. Forgot I could not bring any into the country. I was sad watching my food got binned. Will look for new fruits when I go to the market or fruit shops. But this is one of the things I hate about holidays in Asia… the heat.

I can go to sleep now but I have to fight jet lag so looks like I’m heading out looking for food and beer.

3 Likes

Great! Looking forward to your insights.