Tahini, interesting uses in recipes

I was reading the current issue of Cooking Light. The issue has a boatload of holiday ideas. On pg 145 is a recipe for pear topped toast with honey tahini ricotta. Man does that say breakfast.

It got me thinking of tahini well beyong a hummus ingredient. Tahini drizzled on roasted carrots has been included in at home meals for some time. In place of pb in baking too but Im curious to learn your ideas for using tahini in a recipe.

Thxs,
Rooster

I just got some Zoom tahini delivered to my door. Need to make a new batch of hummus real soon

My decadent late night indulgence when the munchies raise their wicked head Is tahini mixed with honey. Semi liquid Halavah

3 Likes

:+1: Yeah for you! Did you mean Soom? I recall you were on the hunt.

Yeah Soom

Iā€™ve used tahini as a stand alone dip with garlic and lemon juice with out garbanzo beans. Dessert as was mentioned and Iā€™ve used it as a base for salad dressings

1 Like

What a good idea, no chickpeas!

Well, iā€™d say about 90% of Ottolenghi ā€˜s recipes use tahiniā€¦! Haha, not really kidding.
Iā€™ve made his tahini sauce many times, basically equal parts tahini and plain regular (not greek) yogurt, lemon juice, a clove of fresh garlic, salt. Tasty and tweak it as you go, a micrograter is best for the garlic and just whisk everything
He uses it often of roasted vegetables, also works great as a salad dressing.
I donā€™t recall the exact recipe or website but another great use is to make a basic vinegrette but add a few TB of tahini, then toss veggies in it, and then roast the veggies. It creates like a marinade that works great with anything from brussel sprouts to cabbage wedges

4 Likes

The tahini sauce described in this recipe from the Jerusalem cookbook is simple and good. I have also made the open kibbeh itself. We like it a lot.

You beat me to it! We posted almost at the same moment. Great minds, right?

2 Likes

kibbeh saniyeh The lazy man/women kibbeh but hey it works. Iā€™ve made it many times

2 Likes

This looked kinda different and uses brown rice syrup that has been pantry neglected.

That sounds delicious and party crowd friendly. Nice use of bulgar wheat. Thxs.

1 Like

Great ideas. I wasnt familiar enough with tahini until I started making hummus.

1 Like

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cookinglight.com/food/recipe-finder/tahini-recipes

Ref for later.

1 Like

This tahini choco chip cookie recipe made the rounds a while back- I donā€™t do much baking but my mom bakes a lot and has made these several times for happy recipients

2 Likes

Whats not to lovešŸ˜‰!

2 Likes

Curious - what does the adding of tahini do? Make them ā€œhealthierā€ (more reasons to eat chocolate chip cookiesā€¦) or does it sub for other oils/fats/moisture?

1 Like

Itā€™s a substitute for peanut butter. I donā€™t care for these myself because I donā€™t much care for peanut butter-chocolate cookies. I prefer walnuts or pecans in chocolate chip cookies but for the chocolate chip-peanut butter cookie people (apparently a lot of people) they 're great. Mr Rat is a big tahini user.

Ok, that makes sense. I much prefer oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and with a little bit of sea salt on top.

I primarily use tahini for hummus and making ā€˜cheung funā€™ (rice noodles) sesame dipping sauce, but when I have a hankering for sesame noodles, I find tahini mixed with peanut butter seems to be the best taste and texture for that purpose.

3 Likes

I found this but she roasts in olive oil and just drizzles tahini sauce after. I like your method better and will try it.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve done the tahini afterwards tok, which is certainly tasty too, somehow i liked tossing with the tahini vinegrette for lack of a better description, seems to be more integral to the veg vs dip/sauce

1 Like