[Sydney, Australia] Olivo at Harbourside, Darling Harbour

Harbourside shopping and dining precinct has always been a hub of activity at Darling Harbour since its inception in 1988, and further rejuvenated in 2005, where dining options were increased with a popular foodcourt, and a row of restaurants facing the harbour, adjacent to Cockle Bay Wharf. The complex’s proximity to the CBD, easily accessible via the Pyrmont Bridge, had always made it a good option for us to relax amidst the hustle-bustle of city life nearby.

We had lunch at Olivo, a family-friendly Italian restaurant last Tue. With kids in tow, the child-friendly menu was a boon to us. Our lunch consisted of:

1. Kangaroo burger - kangaroo-meat pattie, with beetroot, bacon, coleslaw, aioli, fried onions and relish. One of the best kangaroo I’d ever tasted and, mind you, I’d had a lot of roo in my time. :grin:

2. Stuffed zucchini flowers - the crisp, batter-fried, black sesame-studded, ricotta-stuffed zucchini blooms were delicious. The wands of deliciousness were served on a bed of peppery arugula leaves, with sea salt flakes on the side for dipping.

3. Fried gnocchi - with cauliflower-gruyere béchamel sauce, crisped pancetta, chopped asparagus, and micro-greens.

4. Arancini - one of my fave food items of all time. The ones here were as good as any.

5. Giant seafood platter - a generously stacked two-tiered platter enough for two (A$95) consisting of calamari fritti, fresh oysters, garlic prawns, beer-battered barramundi, char-grilled octopus, mussels, pan-seared scallops, salmon fillets and fries. What’s there not to like. :joy:

We were too stuffed for desserts, and opted to walk round the harbour towards Cockle Bay Wharf instead. Too many dining options, too little time.

Address
Olivo
Harbourside
2-10 Darling Dr, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia
Tel: +61 2 9280 4200
Opening hours: 7.30am to 9.30pm daily (till 10pm on Saturdays)

4 Likes

Could be my epitaph.

1 Like

Mine, too. :grin:

You missed a couple of better precincts that are quite close as Cockle Bay has really become a bit of a tourist trap (was it ever anything else).

Barangaroo a few hundred metres to the North has pretty good variety and better quality. And the new “Birds Nest” and the surrounding area a few hundred meters to the South in Darling Park has some quite interesting places in the ground floor food court.

Although I appreciate convenience is a key factor with kids in tow.

1 Like

I really need to go back to Sydney for a longer stay, sans the kids like during my “business visit” days, in order to explore the dining scene more.

I’d also wanted to go back to The Malaya, for memory’s sake - but it was fully booked for the entire week leading up to Christmas!!