Summer 2022 (Jul-Sept) Cuisine of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

Hey HOs! The end of the month snuck up on me, but Independence Day is just around the corner so it’s time to nominate a new Cuisine of the Quarter. What suits your fancy for sultry summer meals? Please list your nominations in ALL CAPS below. I will leave the nominations thread open until June 29 so we can try to get voting done by July 4!

For reference, here is the master list of past winners: Master list/links of past Cuisine of the Quarter - #2 by meatn3

CARIBBEAN. Is my choice.

2 Likes

CARIBBEAN sounds good to me, so I’ll second that nomination.

I also nominate
ETHIOPIAN and
PERUVIAN

3 Likes

Noms for DOTQ are also open: Summer 2022 (Jul-Sept) Dish of the Quarter - NOMINATIONS

CARRIBEAN
PERUVIAN
ARGENTINA (it’s grilling season here in the Northern Hemisphere. Feels right.)

2 Likes

CARIBBEAN sounds great to me

I can go with ARGENTINA as well. I recently acquired Francis Mallmann’s new vegetable-focused book, Green Fire.

1 Like

Does Caribbean include Puerto Rican?

Puerto Rico is in the Caribbean, so it should.

1 Like

Excellent.

CARRIBEAN

MEXICAN. The end. Complete sentence.

PERUVIAN
CALIFORNIAN (feels summery…)

Adding:
ARGENTINIAN (steak and pasta… twofer!)
BRAZILIAN (ditto grilled stuff… plus moqueca, farofa, so much more!)

I’d be up for Caribbean, but it feels like Jamaican and Puerto Rican could stand on their own, so is it too broad?

2 Likes

I don’t think doing Caribbean now would rule out a more specific country in the future.

2 Likes

CARIBBEAN gives people a little more choice re: dishes.

I was going to nomimate just Jamaican but I couldn’t leave out Trinidad and their lovely doubles.

Many Trinidadians and Bajans will tell you their home cooking is better than Jamaican home cooking :rofl: (Bajan home cooking can be fantastic- I was lucky to experience that for a week in 1996)

Excellent roti and curries from Trinidad and Guyana.

1 Like

Most of the Caribbean places in London are Jamaican but my fave is a Trini place.

1 Like

Spent a bunch of time last weekend discussing and researching how indians ended up in the Caribbean, and how the food transformed. There’s some but not a lot written on it, but I did find this interesting.

I had assumed doubles (double roti) were named for the yeast usage (in india, double roti is a common term for yeasted bread rolls aka Pav/Pao - roti is regular unyeasted “bread” ie chapati) but apparently not.

Also the replacement of individual spices with curry powder and the simplification of techniques makes sense. I had no idea that the bulk of “migration” was from the north and northwest, but having come across some less well-known Indo-caribbean dishes that makes sense now.

3 Likes

My best friend’s grandparents were Untouchables who immigrated to Trinidad. Her dad was able to study in India, with a scholarship.

The Hakka Chinese food in the Caribbean is also delicious, with a distinct history. In Toronto, there’s enough demand, that there are Hakka restaurants focused on dishes that people originating more recently in South Asia want , as well as Hakka restaurants focused on those who like West Indian / Caribbean Hakka food.

2 Likes