"sucuk ekmek"

My son is just back from Turkey and is trying to describe traveling along a country side and stopping for this. I can’t find anything in English, and this might be in my near future. Can anyone help? I have lots of pictures he took of food to share!

Add images

https://www.amazon.com/Dried-Beef-Sausage-Soujouk-16oz/dp/B0002DQTGE/ref=asc_df_B0002DQTGE/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312198206296&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16333702301010022927&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1020991&hvtargid=pla-568538548467&psc=1 ?

When I had suçuk in Turkey, it was a beef sausage somewhat like a mild pepperoni.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I think he said the first word means sausage, the other bread, but the … intriguing part is, he said they would be driving along roads, people would put out some kind of symbol that means they would cook this for you! Not a restaurant, but like an outside grilling situation. Does that sound right?

Can’t say, was only in Istanbul. My friend cooked it in slices as part of a decadent breakfast.

1 Like

Thank you! I think this was in or around Istanbul. H e said driving there was never
crazier than the usual Meditteranean spots!

Should embarrassed that it made me glad I didn’t know before the fact?

I found this;
Istanbul – 25 must eats

And from Culinary Anthropologist

Ten Turkish Tastes

TURKEY I: BULGARIA TO GEORGIA (NEARLY)

And

IT’S SWEET IN TURKEY

Maybe “sujuk”?

Spicy sausage.

1 Like

It means a sucuk (the spicy dry sausage) sandwich. In Turkish if you tack on the word “ekmek” (bread) to another food word, you have a sandwich. See also “balık ekmek,” a.k.a. the grilled fish sandwiches sold around the Eminönü embankment in Istanbul. The Turkish word for fish is balık.

The Turkish word sucuk is pronounced “su-dzhuk” and is often rendered in English as sujuk. (It is not spelled suçuk, which would be pronounced “su-chuk.”)

5 Likes

By the by, these sausages (usually made with lamb) appear on the menu of every Lebanese and Syrian restaurant I know in the UK - presumably dating from the time of the Turkish empire. Unsurprisingly, the translation from Arabic to English brings slightly different spellings , as these from the three places nearest to me - sujok, sojok, soujoc

2 Likes

Thanks all! What I’m really curious about is what he told me about how he and his new wife (:hushed:) went about finding it; driving along roads, seeing some kind of markings in front of a home, and knowing it means you can drop in and they grill some sausage for you.

I understand it is also available in more typical settings.

1 Like

That will be great!

They are on a message app, so it might be a minute.

4 Likes

2 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

3 Likes

Duplicate

Thanks for sharing the photos. Delicious food. Your son is as passionate about food as you do. :yum:

1 Like

That salad with all that onion would kill me

1 Like