Striking the right balance between having a welcoming environment and salty language

I noticed with my IOS 9 update that we received some new emojis. One the most notable is the middle finger :fu:t3:, which I found interesting to say the least. Maybe we adopt that as the visual warning that things might be a little “salty” if the reader decides to proceed then he/she has been warned.

After all :no_entry_sign: Kind of got worn out after Ghostbusters in the 80’s/90’s we need a hipper new millennium visual warning. So the :fu:t3: gets my vote.

:fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3:

Just in case anyone had any problem seeing them in the body of text.

I’ll admit, I did not read every word of every response on this thread because, quite honestly it grew tiresome. With arguments going round and round and some posters extrapolating notjr’s suprise at how good the wings at Hooters were to support for an immoral business model.

Anyway, my .02. There have been parallels drawn between CH moderation and HO moderation. But honestly, CH has a small staff of paid mods and who knows how many volunteer mods. HO is Sampson, who I assume has a “real” job and cannot by himself monitor every post. And as this site grows, that becomes truer every day.

Second, as many have pointed out terms such as tits, boobs, ass, etc. are permissable in PG-13. I see no harm in stating the obvious, such as the Tilted Kilt uses T&A to attract a certain clientele. But I wouldn’t want to call an individual poster an ass. (Although, I am fond of Harter’s arse/arsewipe terms . . . but we’ve already established the gap between “naughty” words on the two sides of the pond.)

Sometimes, when building a new community, you have to accept that not everybody is comfortable in every community. Sampson founded this community (and I’m sure some days he wonders why :wink: with the priciples of civility and PG13-appropriate language.

3 Likes

It REALLY is, Scoobie. “Tits” and “boobs” have the potential to offend someone? Little amazes me at my advanced age - but that’s amazing.

4 Likes

My day job is at the New York Public Library - like most librarians I am anti-censorship and pro-free speech. More interestingly Mr Rat has worked for many years for WBAI radio in NYC (the NYC station in the Pacifica Network). I assume most of you are familiar with what is sometimes called the Carlin Case:

so he feels the same, of course. But you will note that Pacifica lost the case and ever since this whole question has been something of a legal mess. The government can’t infringe on your first amendment rights - but generally a private entity can.

I would understand the discomfort with the Seven Words if this site had more children and teenagers on it. I don’t really get it, but my feeling is that posting on some person’s website is like being a guest in their home. If they don’t like shoes in their house, you kinda gotta take your shoes off.

5 Likes

This is true. Next time, something else will come up, which will be different than this one, and whatever solutions one may come up this time may not entirely apply next time.

2 Likes

Ok just because I need to ask, is it just Hooters or all sexually “charged” establishments such as the Tilted Kilt too? If it’s all places like they fine, if it’s Hooters specific can I ask why?

Absolutely. While this is a community, Sampson has the final decision. The reason is not simply because he owns the site. In my opinion, a stronger reason is that he has responsibility of this site. If this site fails, it will be his responsibility. Because he has the final responsibility, he also makes the final decisions. While I didn’t like Chowhound recent changes, I never challenge the fact that it is their right. If the new Chowhound crash and burn, then it is their responsibility, not mine.

It is nevertheless helpful for Sampson to hear the overall suggestions/opinions from his guests. In this particular case, if I am correct, the host (Sampson) got a complaint from a guest or two and acted upon it. Then, a few other guests complained about the initial response. So in a sense, it is a “guests vs guests” situation.

I think it is more like guest A played some music and guest B didn’t like guest A’s music of choice. Sampson got involved. Guest C, D, E chimed in…etc.

At the end, Sampson will make the final decision.

3 Likes

But I appreciate his willingness to open the subject to the community and hear the diverse opinions. In the end it is up to him to decide.

So far I find HO a better alternative to both CH and FTC.

5 Likes

Me, too.

4 Likes

From what I’ve seen of Ftc I would prefer spending time in a funeral home.

That’s just mean. It’s a left coast site with R-Rated language. Boston/Philly/NYC is very different than LA/SD/SF.

Philly is a Quaker City–the every other “F” word of LA? Nope, we use “freaking” and “dang.”

I cannot say anything about FTC since I have not registered over there.

Hey, I see myself a San Franciscian. In fact, I will say in general people in the East Coast is rougher than West Coast in term of attitude and language. (hey are we off topic again).

Edited: If you drive through SF and drive through NY, then you will know which city is far more aggressive.

I’ve gone there a couple of times to check it out as I was invited to join. Yes it’s certainly regional, but that’s all, very few if any other non regional topics at all. Traffic looked very limited the last time I visited a week or so ago.

At least at a funeral home you know you can expect visitors 2-4 & 7-9!

2 Likes

And I have an Aunt named Fanny. She graduated first in her class at UF Law 50 yrs ago. Certainly not a hind end…

Just the way words work. Cant hold it against them… :wink:

1 Like

I like FTC . I registered the first couple days they started . As I was banned from CH . Thanks Robert , I was glad to see it . I would say FTC talks more about restaurants in LA . And actually more food related topics than HO . Not as censored and you could also say more west coast. On the other hand I like HO also because of more general topics and haven’t been to LA in a while . I go back and forth with the two . I only wish the SF talk would wake up . I’m a hour away .

4 Likes

I agree that this is a good solution but perhaps “explicit language and/or profanity” would better address the concerns raised in this thread.

I was just reminded of a poster on CH . Who’s name was , Show me your tits . Am I dreaming this or do you remember? He was around for a little while . And posted something like ." Should my date pay for me" . Had some other posts . Only a couple of replies to him about his name . Moved on and not banned . Do you remember and this was CH maybe two years ago ? Oh , how things have changed .

It was, if memory serves, ShowUsYourRack. This COULD be a joke, referri9g to oven/cooling racks, or racks of spare ribs, but the posts were as boorish as the user name would lead you to expect.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t get why people would want to slam FTC here. It’s a very similar site.

2 Likes