Stella Marina, Asbury Park, NJ

Agreed but they should have handled the matter better by comping the entire meal.

1 Like

The entire meal or check? According to the article they comped about 1/3 of the check and there were more than 3 people there so it seems they comped more than just the meal in question.

Seriously. Comp the meal and give them a gift cert for the next meal. Apologize to everyone and let them know the fish is inspected but there’s nothing you can do if the worm is in the flesh, and that all fresh ocean catch are susceptible.

3 Likes

Hmmm maybe I will give it a shot tomorrow.

2 Likes

That’s cool Greg. Listen I’m having some issues with my mortgage and the escrow account, you mind calling them tomorrow and getting it straightened out for me?

4 Likes

So I had time while my chicken was cooking. Called and spoke to a Lizz who then put me in contact with their PR person Eda. They’ll be emailing me a statement from the owner. Probably pre-fab, nothing groundbreaking. All involved were exceptionally friendly and cooperative.

3 Likes

BINGBINGBING!

(Thats my complete sentence.)

2 Likes

The response from Stella Marina to my inquiry. Pre-fab and not very enlightening as I expected.

_"Stella Marina, which means star of the sea in Italian is an award-winning rustic yet classic Italian restaurant located on the boardwalk in Asbury Park, NJ. The taste of Stella Marina comes from quality ingredients sourced from our gourmet purveyors and highly trained kitchen staff. We proudly offer fresh, never frozen, seafood on our menu that is delivered daily. _

_Stella Marina is dedicated to ensuring that our guests enjoy a safe and delicious experience. For the past ten years, we have proudly served thousands of customers without incident until this past weekend and for that, we apologize. _

_Out of an abundance of caution, cod has since been removed from our menu. _

The safety and happiness of our guests is our highest priority and we are proactively working to further guarantee our kitchen maintains the rigorous standards we are known for."

Sincerely,
Joe Cetrulo, Owner
Stella Marina Bar & Restaurant

And then their PR person even went so far as to email me a second time:

Hi Greg,

_In case it was helpful background, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations has jointly prepared a document on parasitic worms in cod with the Marine Laboratory of the Department of Agriculture and Fisheries for Scotland and the Torry Research Station of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food. Link here: http://www.fao.org/wairdocs/tan/x5951e/x5951e01.htm _

Also, food safety expert Dr. Donald Schaffer of Rutgers University’s Food Science Department is an expert on this topic.
http://ucmweb.rutgers.edu/experts/index.php?a=display&f=expert&id=1093

_Dr. Schaffer can be reached at xxxxxxxxxx or via email at schaffner@aesop.rutgers.edu _

Please don’t hesitate to reach out should you have any questions or require any additional information.

Thank you,
Eda

Wow. Nice, neat, and tidy. It pays to have an international PR firm at your disposal.

1 Like

The problem is that the story has been picked up by the media and no amount of rational explanation will suffice. Their business wil be affected but to what degree is the question. BTW personally I don’t think their food is very good but I don’t like seeing this happen to them.

2 Likes

That.

2 Likes

Enjoyed a great leisurely meal last evening with some out-of-town friends. First time upstairs outside for me. Too Dark City Gateways, half a Caesar salad and thepappardelle bolognese . Actually, great value on the ocean.

3 Likes