Steak Pizzaiola, What's Your Take?

As I place the lid on my slow cooking bone in strip steaks in a rich homemade plum tomato sauce enhanced by fresh herbs, garlic cloves and chopped onion, my thoughts immediately go to the HO community and my natural curiosity how you prepare this classic Italian dish.
Crusty bread loaf and grated parm are already on cue. The house smells intoxicating.

HOw do you pizzaiola? What cut of meat? What gravy add ins? Oven or stovetop? How many hours til dinner?

Rooster

2 Likes

Never. You East Coasters are funny :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
In KC, our iconic local sandwich was called an Italian Steak Sandwich. Thin breaded steaks grilled, then a long bun with marinara and cheese + optional onions and pickles.
That’s as close as I can get.

1 Like

Never. It’s a travesty.

2 Likes

Lol, you are missing out.

1 Like

Hi @Rooster. I don’t “Pizziola.” Yet. How thick are the steaks you use, I’m curious?

Sounds tempting.

2 inches thick and they braise for 3 hours min.

1 Like

Sounds like you are doing fine. A little Astor Piazzola music in the background will complete the mood. Oh, what’s that?

3 Likes

Man, why didnt you contribute to the food tunes thread? :grin:

1 Like

https://www.kansascity.com/living/liv-columns-blogs/chow-town/771vrv/picture26953069/alternates/FREE_1140/DSCN6131

2 Likes

Def a completely diff dish but that looks delicious.

No one In KC Italian or not would ever consent to boiling a perfectly good steak in tomato sauce.
That’s cement overshoes territory!
:smiley:

2 Likes

Wow talk about a misconception.

That’s what other cuts of beef :cut_of_meat: are for.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

“slow cooked”
I don’t think I’ve ever had pizzaiola prepared in this fashion. We don’t eat steak pizzaiola often but when I have a leftover chunky marinara sauce and I remember, I will make it. I pan fry the steak in cast iron and remove to rest when done. While the steak is resting, turn the heat up in the pan toss in olive oil,lots of garlic, hot pepper, red wine, mushrooms then a glop of marinara, cook down to desired consistency and pour over steak.

4 Likes

Ok well there is room at my table for everyoneđź‘Ť
My kitchen smells so good and dinner with the wife is hrs away!

1 Like

Yes, I have had that version too and we do it that way with a diff cut or after grilling steak.

This braise is for fork tender steak and bread dipping with a side of pasta.

That’s why I asked how others prepare this dish.

1 Like

Your prep reminds me more of a ragout? Tomato / tomahto it all sounds good!

2 Likes
1 Like

I can see why. This is more like my paternal grandfathers version where mushrooms, red wine and even a more expensive cut of meat would have been too highbrow. The guy loved to make Sunday gravy. Sometimes it had a piece of pork, or link Italian sausage or homemade meatballs…sometimes all three. If one of us grandkids would ask him what he was making that smelled so good he would say gravy and my grandmother would give it a more defined name. It wasnt until I was much older than I learned about more traditional, regional dishes.Grandad would grab a hunk of crusty bread dip deeply in the pot and hand you a piece…I can still taste that food memory.

So, being the guy I am, I make pizzaiola this way in tribute to Granddad Anthony.

4 Likes

The small things that when stung together make life worth living :slight_smile:

4 Likes