Speaking of rice, which ones do you eat?

I only eat brown rice, not sure the brand, I usually get it at Grocery Outlet in small packages. My daughter will only eat white rice “like they serve at Shanghai Dumpling King”, so I have to make jasmine rice for her. I tried doing a combo but she called me out. I find the brown rice holds up better for fried rice and doesn’t get mushy. Rice is so easy to cook and I’m more of a minimalist when it comes to small kitchen appliances so just use a Creuset pot on my induction cooktop. 2 cups of water per 1 cup brown rice (1.5 for white rice), cover, bring to a boil, turn down to simmer and wait about 40 minutes.

1 Like

Brings to mind my quest to find good brown rice in the SF Bay Area in another thread. In short, I eat 24 Mantra organic brown sona masoori regularly. And I have not found any convincing organic brown basmati yet. I add quinoa to my brown to give it a firmer texture. I concede that white tastes better than brown. But everyone in the family got used to brown after a week of eating it, and we haven’t eaten white at home much since.

If i need white jasmine, I grab a bag of 3 Ladies from Thailand or whatever its called.

Luckily in the relatively dry Northern California climate, just like @sgee’s SoCal climate, rice just doesn’t spoil easily. White rice can keep for years. I am ‘aging’ them unintentionally sometimes when I forget them in the closet.

I have a bag of Calasparra that I wanted to cook paella with, but haven’t found the time to do that yet.

I also have a bag of Butterfly glutinous rice, which I forgot what I bought it for originally.

I was surprised to discover my very meat and potatoes parents actually have switched to brown rice recently , well first was to half brown and half white then to all brown but my mom swears she only likes the short grain brown rice which is kind of chubby and tends to stick together a bit.

I just threw away a bag of japanese sushi rice (bought last year), bulgur and also a plastic bag of dried tomatoes, infected with pantry moths. Those animals bite the plastic bags and even entered the bottle of hazelnut cocoa (screw cap) I opened last week. Luckily other cereal food were in bottles and zip bags are not touched yet, but I will keep close inspection and clean the cupboard. Now it is their bleeding season, I suspect the organic bulgur was the origin of this infection. Normal here it is dry, and have not problem keeping cereals. But those moths love asian rice, they never touch the risotto rice though.

2 Likes

Gourmet Moths!
:smiley:

4 Likes

Brown Jasmine from TJ’s is my go to rice.
Celebrichef Ming Tsai uses a mix of white and brown rice at home, as a way to get his kids to eat the brown.

I have one of those which is especially made for making BIBINGKA, a famous filipino pancake . I posted it a couple ears ago.
Used to make rice floured pancake topped with cheese, lined with banana leaves with coal on the bottom, and instead of a lid, we use a flat tray, usually a pie pan loaded with charcoal. It really gives the BIBINGKA that special flavor which the Manila Hotel in the Philippines is famous for. Served with finely grated coconut. I brought back one in 1987 when I visited the Philippines and used it many times during fall or spring season, right outside my porch while my husband and I had coffee. MEMORIES!

was in Va yesterday to pick up my son from airport , arriving midnight. tried to visit a small filipino sari sari store with food to eat there or take out Unfortunately, they are only open 3 days a week, Thursday, Sat and Sunday but the food is supposed to be good.
Called and called, no answer
Finally, a friend of mine who lives nearby went there to see if they are open and they were
I rushed over there as they were supposed to close at 4:30pm, got there before 4:00Pm, there was no food at all. Sold Out.
There were some desserts , so I bought a tray of biko.
Had to go to Chinese restaurant instead.
They steamed the rice, , so the texture is better but I think my biko posted April 4th had a better flavor. I guess I use more coconut.
Here is a picture that is not that great as I arrived home after 2;00AM, did not get to bed till 4:00AM.

5 Likes

I do the same and in my Greater Boston Whole Foods, it’s organic Lundberg. I also have a big bag of Kagayaki brown rice, purchased at a mom-and-pop Korean grocer. It’s delicious - nutty and chewy. I’d been avoiding rice that originates in Asia due to published reports about arsenic levels but I don’t know if this rice is “Product of USA” simply because it’s processed here (yet grown in Asia). It’s tough to stay vigilant…I saw this rice and had a weak moment and purchased it.

EDITED: The rice is grown in California! Thanks, Google pal.
http://daiei-trading.com/products/kagayaki/

Well that’s reassuring. My point of view is that i just do the best i can for what i buy and make at home without going to heroic lengths. Goodness knows i’ve been eating who knows where it’s from rice when at restaurants when i eat out, and I’m just not going to be that person interrogating the server about the source…!
I figure i’ll be hit by an nyc yellow cab before the rice arsnic gets me :joy:

4 Likes

IMG_6038

It’s surprisingly delicate and light in texture and flavor.

3 Likes

My wife prefers Basmati rices, so I’ve usually got either white or brown of those.

I usually also have glutinous rice around for making coconut sticky rice with mango - I don’ t make it often, but it’s about the same price to buy a small package of it at Whole Foods or a 5-pound bag at the Vietnamese market. Easiest way I’ve found to cook it reliably is to soak it overnight and then cook it in a rice cooker (or a heavy pot); steaming it in a colander was a lot of trouble and didn’t come out significantly better, though that may be because I didn’t really know what I was doing.

I get very different texture when I steamed mine vs cooking it in water. Cooking in water usually yield a more traditional rice texture, more soaked up, softer. Steaming it (is more work) yield more intact, al dente, texture. This is not my photo, but I would say mine has this texture/look, the rice grains are a lot more “individual”

1 Like

what kind of rice are you steaming?
I cook all my rice ( white rice, used to use jasmine rice but now kokuho red) in my rice cooker
I find brown rice does not work well in my rice cooker, and had to boil them in lots of water, then, drain the rice and let it steam in the small amount of moisture that remains in the pot for 30 minutes. Then, the rice comes out light and fluffy. However, it is a lot of work unless I make a lot, more than I can eat in one session. I find then that this rice does not keep well in fridge, sometimes it gets spoiled. So, I stopped using brown rice.
I find that glutinous rice is wroth the effort if i soak it overnight , drain it, then steam them . This is used in making sweet rice dessert ( buko etc) or savory rice ( with sausage, pork, mushroom, dried shrimp etc) called Ma Chang in my dialect

Hi. I only have steamed the glutinous rice, and almost always for the lotus leaf dish. I know plenty people cooked the rice, but the recipe I have and like is using the steaming method. It produced a very different texture than most restaurant versions.

I agree. For regular cooking, it is a lot of work to steam and wait…etc.

I’ve been a die-hard fan of Tamaki short-grain premium rice for years now, and had switched to their Haiga variety in an effort to move away from a lot of white rice. Tamaki has recently come out with a short-grain brown rice variety that I actually really like so I do my regular drive up to Burlington, MA and pick up the giant bags and pay through my nose for it. But it’s good stuff, and I like the texture of this variety. Cooks up well in my Zojirushi rice cooker.

1 Like

I turn down no rice

1 Like

Where did you get your black rice? I bought some for $10/lb!! That was painful. I think it was marketed as Forbidden rice.

I have so many, I’m at work now so I can’t look at my pantry, but I’m sure I have at least five varieties. The most used is Thai Jasmine, which I get for a bargain at Costco Wholesale.

I don’t have a rice cooker and brown rice was not cooperating for me until i tried the oven baked method- totally foolproof! Once done i stir it and replace the foil to let it steam a little more.

1 Like