Speaking of rice, which ones do you eat?

Rice doesn’t go bad. What happened to it?

worms…and insects

2 Likes

I did carry regular self rising flour, cake flour, rice flour, glutinous rice flour, corn meal for polenta , jules gluten free flour etc as my husband had gluten enteropathy.

However, for the gluten free pound cake, the recipe came from engineer’s recipe for gluten free pound cake that taste better than pound cake. I had it in my lap top but had 2 lap tops since 2012 when my husband passed way. ( spill coffee and one the battery died) I remember using Asian rice flour, glutinous rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, corn starch , and 2 other kind of flour that is made by Bob’s red mill. I also had to add Xanthum gum and guar gum.

I googled and found engineer’s recipe for gluten free pound cake in U tube but but it is not the same as I remember using 7 eggs. It really was good. In e it easy, I make a whole batch, sift them and store them so all I have to do when ready to bake is take the mixed ingredient, scoop out the amount for a recipe, resift them.
Too bad, I cannot find the recipe now but I gave the whole batch of premixed flour to a friend who has gluten intolerance. . I swear it taste just like regular pound cake if not better .
I used to make turnip cake also and when I first found out about my husband’s problem. I also used to make Chinese New Year’s cake, was not aware that I can buy glutinous rice flour when I first arrived in this country, had to make it by soaking the sweet rice overnight, using my kitchen aid to mix the dough until it comes out like cement mix, and then, putting the mixture in a sack to squeeze all the liquid out. (I have the recipe book for Chinese snack which I followed)

I like your turnip cake but I made mine adding chinese sausage, dried small louisiana shrimp, reconstituted mushroom, chives etc , steam them and then pan fry them to eat with ketchup and tabasco.

No longer need to bake all that stuff since BIll passed away.

Not a bad idea. Did you have to freeze store the mixture?

Oh my.

That photo is not my turnip cake, just a photo on the web. I should have been more clear. I only wanted to say that the turnip cake is where I use a lot of rice flour.

not if you use ALL CLAD CANISTERS
Well worth it
air tight to such an extent that it is common complaint users have trouble opening them
my husband came up with the idea to dust the edge with flour

Rice isn’t my cooking forte. I’m going to blame the crappy stoves in rental apartments in nyc i have lived in but maybe it’s also because I don’t cook more than two servings or so at a time.
Regardless i don’t make it often or crave it as my carb of choice.
I do love this wild rice blend from Lundberg, been buying that for years and somehow I don’t usually screw it up. Has a fantastic earthy nutty flavor.
http://www.lundberg.com/product/lundberg-wild-blend-rice/
I buy a short grain brown rice from whole foods bulks bins, and on nights when i do need/want white rice i just spare myself the pan scrubbing and risk of ruining it and stop at the sketchy chinese takeout place in my neighborhood- easily three within a five block radius of me- they have a small white rice for $1.

My wife (who cooks Chinese food only) is happy with a decent grade Calrose, like Kohuko (yellow label) or Homai, whatever Costco has in 50-lb. bags. She buys glutinous rice in small quantities seasonally, for making zongzi or yuanzi, or when she gets on a jiu niang kick.

Some general thoughts:

• Thai jasmine rice is fine for Thais, because they eat with forks, not chopsticks. Many Chinese, including my extended family prefer to eat medium grain rice which is stickier and clumps together when eaten with chopsticks; eating the Thai jasmine rice with nice separate grains that was so popular in Chinese restaurants for a while can be a pain in the ass to eat with chopsticks, especially from a flat plate.

• Other than for special-purpose rices, buying imported rice should not be an issue because it’s difficult to match the quality of California or Texas-grown rice these days.

• Rice CAN go bad, especially in tropical climates or when infested with rice weevils. During the “plum mold” season in Shanghai rice can go green in two days if not stored in a (proverbial) “cool dry place.” If not stored properly, rice can become infested with rice weevils which you may not notice until the adults (which you could mistake for fruit flies) are flying around your kitchen.

As for pound cake, my grandmother’s recipe was: “A pound of flour, a pound of sugar, a pound of butter and a pound of eggs.” The flour was probably Gold Medal.

4 Likes

From a plate, I don’t know why anyone would use chopsticks to eat rice. It’s just so much easier to do that with a fork.

I have to give calrose a try then. I shifted away from California rice a few years ago because I didn’t like the Lundberg and a few smaller brands we were eating.

A lot of restaurants would serve the rice in a big bowl without giving out small bowls to dole it into, so it ended up on your plate. Fortunately, they seem to have gotten away from the Jasmine rice.

Wasn’t Lundberg the brown rice company?

Lundberg has both brown and white, and they grow varieties like jasmine and basmati, without the aroma of their Thai or Indian counterpart.

I used to like Jasmine rice, but found that some fo them had coatings,( recent article I wrote)
So, I changed to California Red Kokuho rice.
Left overs are great when packaged in stretch tight and microwaved.
They taste as though they just came out of the rice cooker.
I tried the Yellow Kokuho which is a tad cheaper but quality is different in my humble opinion.
I have never had problem with them. I stored almost half of it in my salvaged SS ethylene gas sterilizer ( since nobody use that anymore but use autoclave instead since a long time ago. It is godsend as it is heavy duty SS, with locks. The rest I store in my salvaged huge navy aluminum pot that I bought for $50.00 in 1974 from Amish flea market. It was sitting in one corner of the market, nobody seemed to notice it but me. It was so huge and heavy my husband had to carry it on top of his shoulder, We used to use that for cooking Smithfield Ham but I do not cook ham that way anymore, and so, it is used for storing my rice that cannot go into my ethylene gas sterilizer, the various 1 lb rice flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca potato starch, and other knick knacks that cannot be accommodated in the kitchen’s container. It is very heavy and airtight also.
You are with, that is the proportion of pound cake but with gluten free, I had to use a different recipe to make it taster and not as heavy.
By the way, I understand what you say about eating rice with chopstick. I am one Chinese who ever learned to use chopstick.My grandmother used to comment that NO CHINESE WOULD EVER MARRY ME IF I DO NOT LEARN! SHE WAS RIGHT! Any way, the reason from my understanding watching my parents and grandmother eats is rice in the small rice bowl, then pick up the main course or whatever with your chopstick, place the bowl close to THEIR mouth and with the chopstick, they pick up the mix rice and whatever, place it inter mouth and if in a rush, just shove the food with chopstick directly into his/her mouth. VERY EFFICIENT!
My grandparents had a restaurant during the occupation for American soldiers and we had tons of spoon and fork and plates left over. I learned how to eat the American way, never learned to eat the way my parents did to their dismay!
Here is a photo of the ethylene gas sterilizer . It is very heavy SS, 10 inch by 8 inch. If you ever see one on sale, you should grab it quickly.

3 Likes

something seems wrong
upload picture but cannot see it in my preview
so here goes a second time
my8 ethylene gas sterilizer for storing rice 10" BY 8"
IMG_0788_

3 Likes

Beautiful pot, I would say.

1 Like

Real Wild Rice or that California hybrid stuff?
I have to have my niece send the real thing from Minnesota.

thanks . I tried to buy all operating room SS when I could. They are really heavy duty. I bought mayo stand tray which I used for roasting, all kinds fo alcohol container for sugar etc.

1 Like

Our “all purpose” rice is aged jasmine. We generally eat rice with Indian and Asian food anout 2-3x a week. Jasmine rice goes well with different types of asian foods. It’s fine for other preps like mexican rice, rice pilaf, etc.

I only buy other types of rice when I know i plan to make something with it, i,e. Arborio for risotto, etc.

1 Like

Interesting. I don’t think I had any aged rice. How is it different from the fresh jasmine?

New crop jasmine is stickier when cooked. Aged jasmine is not sticky when cooked - the rice grains are fluffier. Aged jasmine also takes more water when cooked. Aged rice has less scent than new crop rice, but I think it cooks up better.

I forgot, I also have bomba rice and arborio and carnaroli rice.

It’s odd to think about, but I never considered having that much rice in the house as “a lot of rice”. To me they are distinct ingredients, similar to having different types of pastas and noodles in the cupboard. Practical and useful.

1 Like

It depends the “health” of the rice. The carnaroli that I have now, I bought box them like a bundle of 10kg, with 10 individual bags of brick-like sous vide pack, no air, this can be kept for a long time. But the jasmine rice, I bought 1 big bag of 10 or 20kg, after a few months, they can develop some bugs. If your panty has been infested with moth before, like mine, need to be very careful and try to keep them in air tight container.