Some Fun with Nostalgia (Tristate)

One more EJ Korvettes memory, please… Whenever I was in that store (the one we’ve been posting about- corner of Central Ave and Ardsley Rd), the intercom was always calling for “Carmine Brochetti, please, Carmine Brochetti…” Either he was a staff member incredibly in demand or “he” was some kind of security code. But the public address system made him famous in my mind, and literally 40 or more years later, I can still hear their call for him.

I don’t remember that at all!!

I have a similar memory, but I am pretty sure it was Floyds on Central Avenue in Yonkers

Forgot about Floyds

Was driving on Boston Post Road thru Larchmont and Mamaroneck and two old spots came to mind. Donaghy’s Carriage Inn and MaGuire’s (not sure of the spelling), which is now a construction site. Any memories?

Did not see this until this morning, but I believe it was “Two Guys” from Harrison, not five.

We had a location in Union NJ as well.

1 Like

Yep, you are right!

My very first job, acquired while the ink was still wet on my working papers was as a relish girl at Cooky’s Steak Pub located in the Central Plaza shopping center Yonkers / Scarsdale

The restaurant was huge, dark, carpeted throughout and very red. There were tables as well as big semi circular booths with curved leather banquette seating. It seemed rather opulent in my youthful eyes. The main dining room was hushed save for the more than occasional sound of clinking cocktails and the stacking of china plates. The meats were grilled over an open flame and the smell in there was pretty intoxicating. The air had that heady, hazy open flame, meat grilling thing going on. There was cigarette smoke as well, but to a much lesser degree than most restaurants of the time due to an extremely efficient exhaust system. The chefs, who you could see through the open kitchen wore those very tall silly looking paper chef hats, I had to wear a hair net :frowning:

The relish cart I pushed around carried three gigantic bowls on its top shelf … one each of
Cottage cheese with chives/ macaroni salad/ three bean salad
In addition I remember hunks of iceberg lettuce and dressing carousels although I don’t remember serving salad.
I vaguely remember dripping something down a customers chest once, probably sour cream for
a baked potato since the dressings were put down on the table. On a rare occasion my cart may also have run a coat or two over… nothing disastrous

I thought the food was fabulous and always looked forward to mealtime in spite of my
limited choices. I usually ordered the bbq chicken /rib combination with a baked potato. We were allowed unlimited salad and ice cream. The salad dressings and ice cream toppings were excellent. As a matter of fact it was there that I began my lifelong love affair with toasted coconut … Good times, with the exception of my weekly paychecks which were generally in the range of $ 7.00 - $ 20.00 gross

Reflecting on what I just wrote I am struck once again by the enormity of change that has transpired during my lifetime thus far in regards not only to food, quality, cost, availability, tastes but to the local culture as a whole … truly mind blowing … as if I grew up on another planet … please this is in no way a judgement, merely an observation

Does anyone remember this place, it later became Chi chi’s and is currently a Barns and Noble … Cooky’s was a chain

http://www.insatiable-critic.com/Article.aspx?ID=1420&keyword=Steak%20and%20Brew:%20Permissive%20Gluttony&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

1 Like

I LOVED Cooky’s! The first one I went to was in Syosset with the family. Yes, they served big wedges of iceberg lettuce and there were several dressings. I think that is where I acquired my love for Russian dressing. Of course, I had been to the Yonkers location many times after that first experience. Man that rib roast was good! And then they all became Chi Chi’s - awful. And I 'm with you. I miss those days!

1 Like

Nice recollection, chowdom. I remember interviewing ‘Cooky’ Rachelson, the founder of the chain, out on Long Island for a food service trade magazine. It went well and he was very open to my questions. At one point I asked him if steak was a favorite food of his and he replied: ‘No, I enjoy French cuisine.’ Go figure…

I loved the Washington Arms! Our parents would take us there in the 60s/70s when we were kids. They always brought out the best garlic bread (I’ve never been able to recreate it) and huge goblets of crudités. I usually had the red snapper and then ended with the amazing meringue and ice cream with a gravy boat of warm caramel peanut sauce. We were so sad when it burned down.

Hi Babs, welcome … thank you for sharing your memories, I loved Washington Arms too. it was a very special place reserved more or less for special occasions. We always ordered the same things Prime rib, scallops and liver w/ onions, they did all three so well, a hot fudge sundae for me for dessert. Are you certain the bldg. burned, last time I drove past the building was still there and housed , the Liberty Montessori School? Your post made me realize just how much I miss this type of dining … quiet, classy, spacious and delicious sans pretense.

Welcome Babs!! So nice to have you here!!! Yes, I also remember the Washington Arms - loved the prime rib!

Why don’t you tell us something about yourself and how you found us? You can do that here:

They had a big fire and closed the restaurant and never re-opened. The building is still there, yes.

I remember the hot fudge as well! they brought you a plate with two meringues shaped like hamburger buns with a scoop of vanilla ice cream between the two of them and then a gravy boat of hot fudge.

1 Like

I don’t remember a fire there, but I do remember a fire in wykagyl (where starbucks is now). There was a lunch counter with lionel trains running on it. Your tray would be put on a flat-bed car and delivered right to you.You can pretty much guess that they had a grease fire. Early automation - the next gen will have drones flying the food to you. Not sure of the name anymore but possibly hamburger depot.

1 Like

I bought some of my first albums there. Remember how bad the lighting was in the whole store?

Got it, the restaurant never re opened as Washington Arms, thanks for clarifying.

woo - hoo
Just found a picture (exterior only) of the hamburger depot in wykagyl-http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net/p/kplu/files/styles/small/public/201609/092116burger.jpg

1 Like

Wow!!! Good searching, rich!

I remember DeFemios, since I went to HS across the street, had friends who worked there, and they didn’t card me when I was a very young looking 16. Jazz (which I didn’t understand and wasn’t sure I liked. I was more of a rock/heavy metal type at the time.), decent Italian food, stiff drinks.

Wasn’t the Lazy Bull called the Jolly Ox first, then Lazy Bull, then Mr. L’s (which became a disco/dance club after 10pm.) I went to Jolly Ox and Lazy Bull with my folks many times, had my first Manhattan there when I was in 7th grade. My fathers drink of choice was a CC Manhattan Straight up, or a Perfect Manhattan. Many people don’t know that in NY State it is legal for someone underage to drink booze at home if provided by parents, and in restaurants if the parents order for them.

Mr. L’s was a interesting night club and restaurant which was very popular with the Tanglewood Boys and their older Lucchese families.

1 Like