[Singapore] HK-style Cantonese congee at Mui Kee, Shaw Centre

Mui Kee Congee in Hong Kong has always been a favourite stop for Singaporeans holidaying there. Mind you, there is nothing elegant about the HK original, tucked away in Fa Yuen Street Market, Mongkok. But it’s been a firm crowd favourite since 1979.

It finally opened its Singapore branch in late March this year, which prompted the usual “kiasu”-fuelled 2 hour queues outside, waiting for a spot in the 50-seater eatery at Shaw Centre, facing the decidedly drab Claymore Hill Road.
DSC04839

Thankfully, the long queues which were ever-present throughout April & May had tapered off by now.

What I had:

1. Parrot fish belly congee - the house speciality. Parrot fish is pretty firm-fleshed, yields generous amounts of meat, but can be annoyingly bony: one needs to constantly keep a look out for those tiny sharp bones with every other mouthful. The rice congee is the smooth cooked-down-rice Cantonese type (not the grainy Teochew or Hokkien sort), with a faint smokey “burnt” scent achieved through searing the cooked congee at the bottom of the pot, and yet not allowing it to burn.
    And yet, I found Mui Kee’s rendition of the Cantonese congee to be more “watery” than the ultra-smooth, tasty ones I get from the Imperial Treasure and Crystal Jade chains around Singapore.

2. Fried Bean Curd Skin - this is a pretty spongey fried slab of folded yuba skin, very subtle in flavour.

3. Pleated Cheung Fun (flat rice noodles rolls) topped with Sakura Ebi - I love cheung fun rolls, but I think I mis-ordered here when I chose the Sakura ebi (Japanese dried shrimps) option. The dried shrimps were crisp & dry. Didn’t enjoy it. Mea culpa.

4. Honestly, I didn’t quite enjoy my lunch here at all, but I think it’s just that I ordered all the “wrong” dishes which didin’t quite suit my palate. The only item I enjoyed was actually the iced HK-style milk tea - a classic beverage (either hot or cold) which most Singaporeans love when they are in Hong Kong.

I need to return for their claypot dishes - I heard the pork-liver with ginger & spirng onions are good. I’d do the cheung fun again, but opt for the peanut & sesame sauce topping this time. And I’ll have to order the century egg with pickled ginger this next time.

Address
Mui Kee Singapore
Shaw Centre, 1 Scotts Road, #01-12
Singapore 228208
Tel: +65 67372422
Opening Hours: 11.30am-3pm, 6pm-10pm Tue-Sun. Closed on Mondays.

3 Likes

Wow they really glam it up! Quite a contrast vs the original market stall in Mong Kok, Hong Kong.

Is it open in partnership with one of the sons? I recall it was the son with the expand-mentality who opened the since shuttered Mui Kee branch in Sheung Wan, Hong Kong Island.

Yes, the grandson, Pierre Choi, opened it in partnership with Singapore’s Les Amis Group. He was approached by Les Amis’ chairman Desmond Lim. Desmond is married to Priscilla Shaw, whose family owns Shaw Centre where the restaurant is located, next door to the Les Amis flagship French restaurant. It was supposed to be a pop-up, but is proving to be so popular, it may become a permanent fixture.

Oh, I did not know that Run Run Shaw’s family has business in Singapore as well. Is Priscilla a grand daughter?

1 Like

Yes, she’s the daughter of Shaw Vee Meng, Run Run Shaw’s eldest son.

1 Like

BTW, it’s spelled Priscylla. She’s a friend of mine.