[Singapore] Crispy fried duck from Bebek Goreng Pak NDut, Lucky Plaza

Bebek Goreng Pak NDut in Lucky Plaza was the first overseas branch of the Bandung-based Indonesian fried duck chain. Currently with 25 outlets back in Indonesia and 2 in Singapore (the second one is in Westgate mall).

The signature fried duck here is prepared the typical central Javanese way: the duck is first quartered and boiled in a spiced broth containing a traditional spice mix or “bumbu” (usually containing fresh turmeric, ginger, shallots, garlic, candlenuts), bay leaves, lime leaves, palm sugar and coconut water. Then, the partially-cooked duck would be drained and pat-dried, before being deep-fried till golden-brown.

Meanwhile, the spiced broth leftover from boiling the duck earlier would be mixed with rice flour, all-purpose flour and baking powder into a batter for making “kremes” - crispy, crunchy crumbs to accompany the fried duck. The batter would be poured into the hot oil in thin streams to form crisp golden-fried crumbs.

A standard Bebek Goreng Pak NDut lunch plate would consist of a quarter piece of fried duck, sprinkled with the kremes, steamed white rice, fried tempe/Indonesian fermented soybean cake, boiled water spinach, sliced cucumbers and cherry tomatoes.

The mainly Indonesian clientele here would go for its sambal korek, a hyper-spicy dip of cabe rawit (small, explosive bird’s eye chilis) sautéed in oil, plus sweet dark soy sauce.

I ordered some extra tempe, plus crisp-fried tofu on the side.

As Bebek Goreng Pak NDut is a halal eatery, no alcohol is served here. I opted for the typical Indonesian chilled Bandung, a rose syrup-evaporated milk drink.

Lucky Plaza on Orchard Road is a popular hangout for Indonesian and Filipino transient workers in Singapore, and gets really busy on Sundays. The eateries here will be packed with the workers on their day off. Bebek Goreng Pak NDut is one of the most popular ones, so it’s advisable to come during the week-days when it’s quieter.

Address
Bebek Goreng Pak NDut
Lucky Plaza #01-42, 304 Orchard Road, Singapore 228863
Tel: +65 6734 4787
Opening hours: 11am to 9.30pm daily

7 Likes

You’d got my attention by “crispy fried duck”.

5 Likes

YUMMM! I visited Indonesia (Bali & Java) about 10 years ago & I still remember the bebek goreng restaurant in Jogjakarta. So. Good.

1 Like

You must have eaten at Bebek Goreng Haji Slamet, Jogjakarta’s enormously successful fried duck chain. 34 branches all over Central Java - all family-owned: Haji Slamet Raharjo, the old man who founded the business, does not believe in franchises, and insisted his extended family members run each and every outlet.

The practice of crisp-frying duck or chicken which had been par-boiled in spiced broth originated from the royal kitchens of Jogjakarta’s kraton, the sultan’s palace.

Nowadays, good fried chicken or duck is always synonymous with Jogjakarta - even when I was in Jakarta or Surabaya, local colleagues would take us to “Jogja-style fried chicken” places.

1 Like

Yep!

1 Like