SFBA restaurants with hours constrained to lunch, Mon-Fri

I was in the city for 4 days and I had oatmeal 3 times. They cook it with blueberries so it has a purplish tinge. They add diced apple and chopped nuts. Ask them to hold the sugar. The 1st morning the server added enough sugar that I didn’t really care for it. It doesn’t need much, if any. I don’t have reason to be in the city on weekday mornings, but if I did I would definitely return to The Sentinal. You may be able to get a half order. I did one day, but then it was all they had left at 9:30. Their oatmeal was head and shoulders taste and pricewise above any of the other places I looked at along Market to Mason.

You could check out Joann’s on El Camino Real in SSF. I haven’t been there in years, but their muffins used to be excellent. Most seem to still like it on Yelp.

Not a lot of classic noir this year, but there are some interesting not-really-noir. As far as the Castro is concerned, I have pretty much settled into a routine of Kasa, Bi Rite, Tartine and Rossi’s Deli.

I accidentally closed the IE session where I started this post. HO saves your post even if you haven’t published it. I doubt that CH would be so forgiving.

2 Likes

Have you tried Amawele’s in Rincon Center? They are only open M-F for lunch. You don’t get a lot of chances to try traditional South African food like Bunny Chow or a Durban Curry Roll.

http://www.amawelessouthafricankitchen.com/

1 Like

I like Marcella’s, and Amawele’s is another good choice.

And this may seem like an odd choice, but…I really like the roasted chicken at Foccaccia. 1/4 chicken with two sides for $7.95. Best for a nice day when you can eat outside (and it looks like we’ll never, ever have one of those again, so maybe not that useful a suggestion).

Then there’s Eatsa, the automat-style place in Rincon Center. Much as I love the idea of avoiding human contact, it looks kind of healthy (and is thus of no interest to me). Still, it has long lines, so some people seem to like it.

A couple general observations about eating lunch downtown: 1) it’s significantly more expensive than it was just a few years ago–inexpensive options have been reduced to, well, Lee’s; and 2) everything is super-crowded all the time, so I’d recommend going before 11:30 if you don’t want to wait in long lines.

1 Like

Thanks for the Amawale’s suggestions— that takes top priority and would pair nicely with the walk-through the WPA murals in the old post office

Amawale’s was closed on Christmas Eve, but I did some damage elsewhere then and the day before.

The Sentinel’s oatmeal was very good. They don’t use stone ground oats, but they made up for it with tons of nuts, dried fruit, and fresh fruit.

The Rye Project was a success. I split a sandwich made with salami, pastrami, corned beef on an onion roll. Good combination of flavors, but next time I’ll stick to a simpler sandwich on rye.

The smoked trout salad was great. The trout had a light smoke and was bouncy rather than dry.

Matzoh ball soup was basic, and hit the same beats as my family’s— salty broth, one big matzoh ball.

Shorty Goldstein’s bagels are house made and they finish baking at 7:30am. By 11:30, the bagels lost some of their charm but still good qualities like a thick crust, and dark brown blisters, the kind you get on a sourdough loaf. See http://www.jweekly.com/article/full/76432/hardly-strictly-bagels-shorty-goldsteins-stands-tall-with-new-housemade-bag/

I also had some banh mi:

I have no idea if there is anything good in there these days (usually not), but I believe the International Food Court on Kearny is weekday lunch only. Souperman has posted about a couple places here Korean Dumplings and other recent arrivals at the International Food Court and on his blog.

1 Like

Has anybody mentioned the japa-curry food truck? Weekdays different locations in SF. Karaage curry very generous portion, large pieces, $9; cold ramen w/ chasiu $8, bento, etc.

Saw Bette’s mentioned – very fond of it but been loving the Royal Cafe in Albany lately, even more. http://www.royalcafealbany.com/#eat-together

How is the fried chicken?

I’m ashamed to say, fried chicken fiend that I am, that I’ve not had it yet. Every time I go, I get seduced by hollandaise, or bacon, or chorizo, or SOMETHING and then I see it going by and…sad face. Last time, this guy at another table held up his plate and said to me, “Choose wisely.”

Pro-tip: their homemade muffins are sublime. Tender, buttery, not too sweet, like my mom’s. Whatever kind they’ve got, get a muffin.

Also: the huevos rancheros are a waste of time. Only thing I haven’t liked much.

Anula’s in Oakland

I started eating here a few years ago and Anula does a hot plate lunch every weekday (meat or vegetarian). I posted about it on Chowhound and it has also been reviewed in East Bay Express.

Update: over the years Anula has added a few special items here and there. My favorite right now is her veggie chapati, stuffed with lentil and leafy green (kale?) for $2 each. Really great flavor, she makes it some days but doesnt make it other days. Another favorite is her jambalaya, offered the first Monday of the month. She serves the rice separate from the chicken/sausage/shrimp. It is spicy though, so bring extra rice. Each entree is served with two side dishes, such as lentils, eggplant, kale, beets. Both the lentils and eggplant are outstanding.

Three more in SF:

Berkeleyside writes about Rio California Cafe, a Brazilian place in downtown Oakland that fits your criteria.

ETA: But the menu says that the Brazilian plates " are only made for 15 people or more each", while the Berkeleyside article doesn’t mention that.

http://www.riocalifornia.com/menu.html

1 Like

I’ll add Laney Bistro on the list. I’ve never been. But its run by the students at Laney College.

Pretty ambitious menu I must say. M-W is American bistro cooking. Th/ Fr is International that rotates every week:

Fall 2017 Schedule for Culinary 41 “International Cuisine” (Served Thursday & Friday of each week in the Bistro dining room)

9/7 – 8~ Bistro Menu

9/14 – 15~ Cuisine of China

9/21 – 22~ Cuisines of Japan and Korea

9/28 – 29~ Cuisines of Thailand, Indonesia & Vietnam

10/5 – 6~ Cuisine of India

10/12 – 13~ Cuisine of France

10/19 – 20~Cuisine of Italy

10/27~ Cuisine of Spain

11/2 – 3~ Cuisines of Greece & Turkey

11/9~ Cuisines of Lebanon & Persia

11/10~ Holiday – Veterans’ Day

11/16 – 17~ Cuisines of Africa

~Thanksgiving Holiday

11/30 – 12/1~ Cuisines of the Caribbean Islands

12/7 – 8~ Cuisine of Mexico

~Winter Recess

Any recommendations for the Mission or Bernal Heights that are only available for breakfast/lunch Monday through Friday?

Gallo Giro truck and Newkirks (known for their Northeaet style breakfast sandwiches on Kaiser rolls) come to mind. Anything else, weekday specials, 3pm food happy hours etc.?

La Palma perhaps? They do open until 6pm. Maybe St. Francis Fountain if you’re into ice cream for lunch (haven’t tried their food). Trick Dog is good to visit on weekdays to avoid the crowds when they open at 3pm but I don’t know if their kitchen is open then. Similarly True Laurel opens at 4pm but they don’t start serving food until 5 AFAIK. Mission Street Oyster Bar has $2 oysters from noon to 8pm.

Piri Pica also has happy hour between 2pm and 6pm. Dollar piri piri wings among other items.

La Palma is a good suggestion— I pick up tortillas biweekly from them weekends at ~8am (yes fresh masa tortillas, but their lard flour tortillas are also the best) but rarely get meals there for weekend lunch because of the wait.

Oooh, looking forward to Piri Pica and Trick Dog!

If you goto la palma on a weekend, make sure you get some of their weekend specials which typically include birria (sold by the lb with tortillas and more) and also menudo

they typically are done selling pupusas on weekdays by 5:00 pm or so at the latest.

1 Like

We really like this new place called Troje (S. Van Ness @ 26th). Food is really quite good. They have $1 oysters and a happy hour menu that, no joke, is 3:00-8:00 PM! They want to roll out dinner service, but are still working on it. Very friendly people.

1 Like

Just to add another perspective, we actively disliked Piri Pica. They have a very limited menu and I don’t think they’re very good at even that.