September 2018, Boston and surrounding areas, openings + closings!!!

saigon corner on billings road in quincy is closed until 9/27

1 Like

oops. that should be “pho mai on beach street in chinatown”

So we have a strange attraction to the dive bar The Intermission Tavern on Tremont st in the theater district. They had strong drinks, a decent burger, and a beautiful original Alberto Vargas painting behind the bar. We went Thursday night to see the Matty in the Morning live show at the Wilbur, and decided to stop in before for dinner. Found out that about 3 weeks ago, the Intermission closed, and it’s now called The Fourth Wall. We had some very meaty (if not very spicy) Buffalo wings, and some solid steak frites with shishito peppers. Drinks were strong, if a bit more $ than at the old place. It was fine, but it just didn’t have the same divey feel, and I really miss that Vargas painting!

1 Like

So I’m going through my Facebook feed, and come across this new article on dirty old Boston. https://dirtyoldboston.com/blogs/news/vargas-in-boston

godavari mini in union square somerville is “closed for renovations”

Yep, since May:

Hallelujah - the former Capri pizza joint at the intersection of Mass and Park Aves in Arlington has finally been taken over by someone. The signs for Yassou (presumably Greek-owned) just went up this week. That empty space made me sad every time I saw it (nearly every day for the past year).

1 Like

A gyro spot?? Be still my heart…

i’ve been by there a few times since then, and there is never anyone doing work on the place. i’m thinking maybe they’re never going to re-open.

boom crispy chicken is opening in the old little kitchen location on kneeland street in chinatown

1 Like

#1 Noodle House in Newton Center has closed (sigh), and it will be another Thai place, of which Newton Center already has two. Not really happy about this development, as I really enjoyed the food at #1 Noodle House, especially their MaPo Tofu. Bummer.

2 Likes

Not right in Newton Center, but isn’t there one of those “Dumpling House/Kingdom/Galaxy” offshoot on Walnut Street? I’m sure they’ll have a serviceable mapo tofu, if not completely authentic.

1 Like

The Cambridge location of Dumpling Daughter is now open with a somewhat different menu than the original Weston location.

2 Likes

I had to meet up with someone at the Broad Institute earlier this week and Dumpling Daughter was jam packed at lunch time.

Kendall is insane.

1 Like

Yes, in Four Corners (Walnut & Beacon). Only been there once, but it was pretty good. Also, Jean and Lee’s is not that far away.

i’m hearing that Shangri La in Belmont has reopened.

Drove past shangrila today, open!!! Yeah!!

3 Likes

And next to it Vester has also opened (both restaurants are owned by sisters)

Have you tried either place yet?

Not yet - during lunch the lines were too long and last Friday when I had to work late and planned to pick something up from DD they were closed for a private event