September 2017 Home Cooking DOTM: BALL SHAPED FOOD

1 Like

Baharat spice is common throughout the Middle East, it’s like their version of five spice powder.

Typical ingredients include allspice, cardamom, cloves, cumin and black pepper, all finely ground.

There are lots of variants.

2 Likes

It’s actually very similar to 5 spice powder

Recipe is from Saad Fayed and is supposed to be Iraqi.

I wonder how they would hold in a soup. You will find similar kibbeh called Kubba that are soup varieties

This looks like an interesting appetizer.
Deep-fried lychees stuffed with minced shrimp (Northern Thai) from klyeoh’s latest post here.

2 Likes

Hmm. Trying to decide how lychees would work in savory. Not managing to wrap my head around it.

Usually I am not a big fan of ready made fish balls sold in shops, they taste like flour and seasonings and anything than fish. I prefer cuttlefish or beef balls. But 100% fish, why not?

A good white fish ball should be light, fluffy, and have an elastic springy texture.

It is hard work and quite technical I think.
http://www.neehao.co.uk/2014/03/fish-balls-noodle-soup-recipe/

http://www.mummyicancook.com/2012/09/how-to-make-bouncy-100-fishballs.html

1 Like

They are quite different from the fish balls @sck mentions, quenelles include egg, butter, milk and flour in the process. The common point is both are labour intensive.

So then there is the Lebanese national dish, Kibbe Nahya, or raw lamb with bulghur

It’s pretty much impossible to go to a Lebanese party and not have someone bring this.

To do it properly you are supposed to pound the lamb until it falls apart.

I have also had it made with beef, or a mix of lamb and beef.

The recipe above is for the Swedish version, which are literally called fiskbullar (fish balls) the same as köttbullar (meatballs).

They are pretty common in Norway too, they are almost always made with fresh water fish like pike, walleye, or perch.

They are also available in a can, but I do not recommend these unless you are desperate and can’t cook.

So I took a look at Jacques Pepin’s website, and he makes the version from Escoffier

He has egg white and heavy cream but no flour or butter.

The Swedish recipe above uses a little potato flour instead of the egg white, but otherwise they are pretty close.

Sounds to me like you need a binding agent (potato starch or egg white) to get these to hold together.

Kibbeh Nayyeh is another family favorite but no one seems to make it much these days. I use top sirloin steaks from the local grocery since it is so lean and grind it at home.

Here’s one I made quite a while back

Couldn’t help putting a peace sign groove to hold some olive oil. One can hope

4 Likes

Speaking of kibbeh these are the creme de la creme

I guess they are somewhat dome shaped

1 Like

Or the creme de ris? :wink:

If riz is rice, there is no rice in these. Bulgur yes.

1 Like

So how about Rocky Mountain oysters?

Could they be the ultimate ball shaped food?

Yes I think they qualify. Ouch

Made some chocolate truffles today. Used Valrhona Guanaja dark chocolate 70% and Valrhona chocolate powder 100% cacao for the finishing. Recipe from chocolate master, Jean Paul Hervé. With the recipe, using 200g of chocolate, I could make 26 truffles.

Melting in the mouth and quite satisfied. Husband had eaten 1/3 already…

https://www.jeanpaulhevin.com/content/recette-truffes-chocolat/

Planning to do more and different tastes and textures later including adding nuts, fruits and spices.

Interior:

8 Likes

Your truffles look so good