September 2017 Home Cooking DOTM: BALL SHAPED FOOD

@naf came up with a brilliant suggestion. So the official September 2017 Dish of the Month is:

BALL-SHAPED FOOD 
  • meatballs, fishballs, veggie balls, rice balls, cheese, chocolate … be creative!

Let’s roll!

3 Likes

I hope I won’t be the only one in HO still interested in Dish of the Month.
Will be going away and so probably no cooking until next Tuesday!

Made this meatball 1 or 2 weeks ago, I like it a lot.

Some recipes and ideas:

The Chinese’s Lion Head - pork meatball

1 Like

looks great
I had the Lion’s head shanghai meatballs last week, so probably will save this recipe for another time
Will have Kenji Lopez’s red sauce tonight probably ( from freezer) with his parmesan- mozzarella chicken .

1 Like

Does anyone have a good recipe or source for fish balls? I love them as a child but I have yet to come across store bought ones that don’t have preservatives, and a bunch of unknown chemicals.

1 Like

I buy fish balls from Asian market
Specifically, I like the fishballs made with sweet potato starch ( also can be found in asian store but be sure it is the fine versus the coarse sweet potato starch) called the Fuchow or fuzhow ( spelling depend on dialect).
These fish balls have a pork filling.
Y ou can omit the pork if you are vegetarian
We also used to get it freshly made in NY whenever my worker goes to NY .He orders 50 fish balls at a time. They are excellent.
Here is a recipe

3 Likes

We have a local food truck called The Ball Joint. They even do brunch at the local brewery…their eggs Benedict comes with eggs poached into a perfect ball.

2 Likes

That is so neat! I wonder how they do that?

You have to drop them into the vortex of spinning acidified poaching liquid, and then keep the liquid spinning till they set.

It takes a little practice to get it right.

Actually I have a hunch they’re doing it in some sort of mold or form.

What I really need to do is get my lazy butt out of bed and go over for brunch. (My usual Sunday is a pot of coffee and the newspaper)

Fiskbullar from Rutiga Kokboken ICA förlaget:

Recipe

500-600 gm fish filets (usually Pike or Walleye)
2 tsp salt
White pepper
2-3 tbsps Potato Flour
4-5 dl heavy cream

Mix ingredients until thoroughly in mixer or food processor. Consistency should be creamy, adjust with potato flour as necessary.

Form balls with two table spoons and drop into boiling fish bullion or salted water. Poach 4-5 minutes, or until balls float.

Served usually with a white dill cream sauce, boiled new potatoes, peas and a green salad, often on Fridays.

In France these are known as quenelles.

And, yet again, the Schweddy balls:

Because no one can resist his Schweddy balls!

1 Like

I doubt that because it doesn’t work. Here is how to do it.

In commercial kitchens, as the dude notes, they poach large quantities in advance and hold them in ice water for the rush.

Japanese mothers are masters of the boiled egg mold.

1 Like

But this is a hard boiled egg. The post above referred to a poached egg. You can’t do a poached egg in a mold like this. (and it’s not just Japanese mothers – I have several fun egg molds including a rabbit one, cars and a fish.)

Yes, it’s not a poached egg. I am going to think about that one. A spherical poached egg… a tricky and intriguing problem.

Edit: A ball shape is generally considered to be a sphere. The guy in the video is making poached eggs in a circlular shape.

I think what we are talking about here is the difference between the upper egg and lower egg in the photo above.

The lower egg is what a lot of people get when they poach at home because they don’t do the vortex spinning motion in the poaching liquid and drop the egg in the center.

2 Likes

That upper egg is not spherical. Would you play golf with an egg shaped like that? I don’t think so!

Obviously I need to venture out and head to the brewery for brunch.

Won’t be this weekend…Florida is kinda busy right now

2 Likes

Actually not much of a golfer…

1 Like