Scrambled Eggs

I hate to admit this, but I have the hardest time getting my egg whites to homogenize with the yolks when I make scrambled eggs. I always end up with yellow and white eggs. What is the secret?

1 Like

Whisking the hell out of them before they go in the pan.

I never realised just how serious a whisking was wanted until I watched a hotel breakfast chef cook them for me last year, in Spain.

7 Likes

^^this

2 Likes

Keeping eggs room temp helps. When eggs are cold the heavier yolk wants to float from the whites. Room temp, no battle. Because I scramble often, I use a blender and portion out the mixed eggs.

3 Likes

Add salt during the scrambling process. It helps loosen the proteins so the whites and yolks can come together more smoothly. I actually just saw an episode of ATK that talks about this, but I have known it forever simply from experience - if I am scrambling eggs and they don’t seem to want to come together, it’s ALWAYS because I forgot to salt.

8 Likes

Interesting

Unless you don’t use salt. I s&p after the eggs are scrambled. I’ll def test the salt tip out.

Salt in the uncooked eggs also helps keep the eggs moist while cooking, because the proteins can’t bind together as tightly as they cook. The less tightly they bind, the less moisture that gets squeezed out in the cooking process.

6 Likes

That’d be me. I don’t cook with salt (nor do I add salt at the table to my plate). I gave that up before cigarettes and alcohol.

Personally, I like salting the uncooked, beat eggs, I prefer it tastes evenly salted. But a few chef recipes I came across, they proposed salt after cooked.

2 Likes

I had a serious aversion as a kid to non-homegenous scrambled eggs!

As others have said, beat very well first - I use my immersion blender which takes about 30s to do it. If I’m elsewhere and doing it by hand, I look for a completely liquid mixture to signify that the whites have completely combined, and there won’t be little globs of it in the cooked product.

(Re salt before vs after - I’ve read it both ways - SE says before yields slightly more tender eggs) - I prefer it added during beating for even seasoning.)

2 Likes

The kids always preferred my scrambled eggs over their dad’s. They called them cheesy eggs, although there was no cheese in them.

I beat them well, whisk in some cream and salt; meanwhile I’ve melted some butter in a non-stick pan and pour the eggs in. I then cook them on the lowest setting on the gas range. It takes awhile due to the low heat, but produces the very soft, tender and moist scrambled eggs.

8 Likes

My usual way - although on the rare occasions when I have time, I use the classic bain marie method, over simmering water.

I grew up eating them soft scrambled / custardy, that’s my preference too.

But the white/yellow issue isn’t rooted in the cooking method - when I don’t beat them well enough beforehand, I can end up with blobs of white even in soft scrambled eggs.

1 Like

A splash of yellow food coloring

5 Likes

Yes, I certainly take your point @Saregama. I must whip them well enough, because I’ve never had that issue! I’m not a huge fan of eggs as *breakfast foods, so I’m fairly particular when eating them.

• With the exception of crepes, quiche and eggs Benedict. :yum:
1 Like

Fake it, till ya make it!

1 Like

True. Once they are on the heat, you’ve pretty much lost your chance to get the whites and yolks to come together.

Personally I don’t mind a few streaks, as long as there are NO undercooked bits. I will eat soft/custardy scrambled eggs but I vastly prefer mine cooked hot and fast, the way you often see Asian chefs do it. They form thin sheets that become tender layers as you move the cooked eggs out of the way and allow the still-liquid eggs to flow into the space left behind.

3 Likes

If you’re having a hard time scrambling with a fork, try an immersion blender. Bonus: fluffier scrambled eggs.

1 Like

I beat the eggs (and cream if I’m using it) in a bowl with one of these coil wire whisks
06%20AM
and stir them in the frying pan with a heat-proof silicon spatula like this
06%20AM
Never any white streaks.

Perversely, son’s family prefers theirs “frambled” = eggs broken directly into hot pan and quickly blended to a definitely streaky yellow and white custard.

3 Likes