Scape Season

It’s like mushroom season…short and sweet.

Please share your recipe ideas.

3 Likes

It’s great over steak like a chimichurri, or as pesto with pasta. When it’s in season here in Berlin it’s all over restaurant menus — just like white asparagus :relaxed:

2 Likes

I grow garlic basically just so I can have fresh scapes, and I use my entire harvest to stock my freezer with garlic scape pesto. I have cooked them other ways and they are always delicious, but I keep coming back to pesto as their ultimate purpose in life. Mine won’t be ready to harvest for another month or so, though.

3 Likes

I just got a bunch and have been trying to figure out what to do with them beyond pesto or chimichurri. Do they hold up in a stir fry? Would they get lost in a dumpling?

1 Like

I’ve been using mine as I would garlic, in salad dressing, for instance. Not the most creative idea, but it works nicely.

2 Likes

They do fine in stirfry - add them near the end, since they just need a very brief cook. I’ve never put them in dumpling filling but I bet they’d be amazing!

3 Likes

I use them just as I would garlic or scallion. They make a particularly good kimchi!

3 Likes

Have been a little stymied vis a vis garlic scapes in the annual garlic patch! Decided it was a variety that didn’t produce them - confirmed today that soft neck garlic does not in fact make scapes. However, did learn that all green parts are completely edible, and can be even less “woody” than scapes from hard necked variety. So, look forward to using some garlic greens and making pesto, and other things from them. Yay!

2 Likes

I have been hoarding three scapes for a few weeks. I’m going to use them this week. Appreciate the poke.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone! Any storage advice I should be aware of? I keep hoping to get to them, but the last couple of days work has kicked my butt and derailed plans.