[San Francisco, Russian Hill] Berber

Grilled octopus was a little bit chewy and not very tender. I thought the fennel on the side tasted more interesting than the octopus.

The lamb tagine was good. I don’t know tagines very well, but this was a prep without ras el-hanout. Instead it came with mission fig and almond. The lamb was tender and well seasoned. I was interested at the tangia and inquired about the time it takes to cook the dish since the traditional prep takes a long time. But the server recommended the lamb tagine so I went with that.

Kofta kabob came with spicy tahini. The kabob itself was somewhat ordinary. The spicy tahini added a punch in a good way. I didn’t finish it so I had it packed to go. Unfortunately the tahini didn’t make it to the box.+

Side of cous cous.

A couple of non-alcohol drinks- beautiful sunset and tamazight twist

I came only for dinner and not for the show. I traveled to Morocco years ago and always have a soft spot for the country and the food. So I was bummed when Aziza closed, and was really looking forward to trying out Berber. It was an ok meal. Any other dishes worth trying at Berber?

4 Likes

Fortunately Mourad Lahlou has just reopened Aziza!

That’s great news! I missed the news that he’s working on it.