San Francisco restaurant news and notes [SFBA] 2017

Black Jet Bakery now has a space on Cortland in Bernal Heights.

Momos at Gorkha Kitchen- Indian/ Himalayan in inner sunset.

Rincón Nayarit - Mexican seafood near Cesar Chavez.

New places in SF:
Derm Restaurant (Thai) on Geary.
Troy Greek Cuisine on Russian Hill
A Mano (Italian) in Hayes Valley. Chef worked at Flour + Water. Handmade pasta.

More interesting openings (to me) this time:

Taqueria Los Mayas in Inner Richmond- Yucatecan.
ABC Falafel- Pac Heights- they serve falafels, unsurprisingly.

Castro Ice Cream serves Turkish breakfast and pastries. Owned by the same people as Tuba Restaurant.

Interesting. Never heard a word here in Van about this expansion of a local chainlet to SF, though I do keep hearing about their increasing local presence, with another outlet coming soon on our Commercial Drive. I’ve never had much inclination to try them out, what with the whacky pricing, oddball combos and not-my-demo marketing.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: [San Francisco] Castro Ice Cream/ turkish breakfast

Tahini, falafel and kabob place near 24th St BART.

Also ABC Falafel on Van Ness and Sutter.

Is falafel the new poke?

1 Like

I’d prefer more falafels to poke…

Do we have poke that’s the real deal around here?

Ocean Malasada popup at Andytown

Also on the donut popup front, Mr. Bomboloni is now inside the Village Market at the Ferry Building on Tuesdays and Thursdays, featuring Bomboloni, Frati and Cannoli.

What’s the difference between bomboloni and zeppole? filling? North vs South?

Not being a pastry fan I had to dig for this (you’ll hate me). Another source says zeppole are made with pizza dough, bomboloni with doughnut-like dough.

Thanks. To be honest, I couldn’t really tell much differences between zeppoles and sugar egg puffs. They all seem like just variation of sweet things covered with granulated sugar. Malasadas sound like bomboloni?!?!

Bomboloni, the kind at the ferry building and others I’ve had at local Italian restaurants or Heartbaker, have a rich dough and don’t distinguish themselves from other high end doughnuts, malasadas, brioche beignets, etc. Zeppole, as I’ve had them served in NYC, I’d guess an Italian American thing, are closer to funnel cakes in texture. Recipes for zeppole online suggest a more complicated recipe than I’ve had so there seems to be a lot of variation.

These freshly-made zeppoles were side-by-side with calzones at this New York food booth, so I guess there’s truth to the fact that they can be made from pizzas dough.

I think deep fried calzone are technically called panzerotti :slight_smile:

Well, we’re talking about New York, where they don’t even bother to pronounce calzone correctly, not Italy.

In upstate NY where I grew up, strombolis are more common than calzone, and more often made folded as well as rolled up.

A little bit of Italian renaissance here in SF:

Roma Antica in the Marina- and they seems to have some Roman dishes like pinsa and saltimbocca.

Pesce e Riso, Italian-Japanese fusion in North Beach.

Ardiana, pizza place from the Gialina people in Noe Valley.

1 Like

Casey’s Pizza now has a permanent space in Mission Bay. NY style. Anyone compared their current ones with their tricked-out Weber Grill ones?