[Rye Harbour, East Sussex] William the Conqueror

I suppose there was always going to be a pub round here, in “1066 Country”, with this name. But it was a chance find for lunch, after we’d been for a walk round the nearby nature reserve. It was a lovely day, probably the last of the warmth till next year. And the pub had outside seating. And a menu that, apart from fish & chips and a couple of burgers, was Cypriot in its construction. Yep, that’s lunch definitely sorted.

So, one plate of cod & chips, the crisp batter made using their own beer. The fish was perfectly fried but it was a tad disappointing that there were fries, not proper chips. But there’s not even that minor quibble about the “Cyprus Mix”. Chicken souvlaki and Cyprus sausages (bags of mixed spice in the latter – I got coriander and maybe just a faint hint of chilli). They sat on a pitta which had been smeared with tzatziki and topped with thinly sliced red onion and tomato. There’s the fries here as well. It took me straight back to lunches in Paphos. And who knows when we’ll feel it’s safe to go back there.

4 Likes