Roti machine

Fun video. If it made corn tortillas I’d get interested.

3 Likes

I got uninterested once I saw it was $999. That’s steep for any kind of bread machine.

3 Likes

The video is excellent. While your significant other puts the finishing touches on her painting and the roti machine does its work, carefully place three tomatoes on the table. Why? Why not?

1 Like

That is pretty darn cool! Made me want fresh roti, darn it! The price tag is certainly the kicker.

Rotimatic was designed as a platform to make any type of flatbread. It connects to internet and upgrades with features that add more variety to your table and parties.

It says it does pizzas and tortillas.

Flour tortillas. There’s a list of recommended flours (you see I DID actually look at this product with some interest) and corn is not among them.

Is this the failed sister of Flatev?

I am guessing that there isn’t a big enough market for this.

1 Like

I thought I was the only one noticed and laughed at that. It really speaks volume of what is wrong with our generation. Time is better spent putting three tomatoes on the table for decoration than actually try to cook and make a meal.

In a household like this with all the kitchen space like this! It is probably target at the busy silicon valley geeks, the days off of their personal chefs. The interface looks much like an office printer, btw.

Interesting, but too expensive and big for just “mono” tasks. (If the price includes also a 3D printer, may start to look interesting…)

If you look carefully, this “thing” is less about solving a problem, but rather creating a demand. And this “thing” they are selling is a idea of a lifestyle, not a machine. In other word, they are selling you a fictional “lifestyle”. It was never about solving a roti problem.

Your entire meal won’t just be roti. So where will the rest of the food come from? If you are making the rest of the meal, then why not make the roti or at least eat something else beside roti. If you are using this roti machine and do a take-out for the rest of the food, then why not also add roti to the take-out order? The $1000 entire thing makes no sense.

For disclaimer, I actually think it is fine if someone likes to eat roti every day and want a machine to help her/him out and this machine performs well. Heck, people spend twice as much for a cup of espresso machine for once a day, right? Yet, I have a strong suspicion that this is not about selling a roti machine.

Someone are also selling you cooking machines like Thermomix to make the rest of the food. I was surprise one day going to my pretty geek and busy neighbour to ask her something, she was cooking her dinner for herself and her partner with a Thermomix. She is somebody who has absolutely no interest in cooking but I was surprise that she would invest so much an equipment for food. She told me how that machine worked well etc, and I guess she enjoys food more than I believe.

Haha, if somebody offers me this, I wouldn’t mind putting it in my kitchen even though I don’t really drink coffee that often. :yum:

Disclaimer: I’m indian. I make and we eat roti in our house.

I have several friends who have the Rotimatic and they all love it. Roti isn’t hard to make, but its time consuming. The benefit to having a machine to do it is that you can prepare the rest of your meal while the rotis are being made.

I want to get one too, but I’m waiting for the price to drop a bit.

5 Likes

I know people who were at one point on the waitlist for this for over a year and who paid the $1000. People who have them like them.

I know a lot of people in South Asian food cooking groups on Facebook who have one or very much want one, too.

I’d like one but I hear it’s not a breeze to clean. I also think the rotis don’t look exactly right somehow.

I’d get one if it were $200, maybe.

$1000 is quiet a bit. However, if it does its job well and easy, then it is a net plus. Unlike a Keurig machine, the Rotimatic can only earn its money from the machine, not from consumable Keurig cups.

1 Like

Oh my…how did I miss this? I would put this on my Xmas list in a heart beat if the price ever came down. I would make room for this machine in my house.

Looks even more fun than this Mini Pancake Machine that I found at a Brussels hotel earlier this year.

This electric chapati/roti maker has existed for ages. It didn’t take off in India when it was introduced 25+ years ago (my guess because the required dough consistency was “wrong”… too soft)

It would make corn tortillas too, given that it’s basically a press with heating elements.

The “roti problem” is a pretty real thing for South Asians. If you have an Indian store near you, take a look at the fresh and frozen options for rotis - they are mind-boggling. And still, they do not even come close to homemade.

It doesn’t take that long to make homestyle dal and vegetable, or meat, or fish. They also reheat well as leftovers.

Because making roti is as almost as time consuming as making the whole rest of the meal. And it’s a learned skill, so if you didn’t grow up making roti but you did grow up eating it and know what the real thing is supposed to be, good luck making an edible version from the getgo. And it’s not something that tastes anywhere as good reheated.

Yes, that is the “before” landscape for this product - people eat more rice than they otherwise would because it’s quick and easy, or pita, which tastes nothing like roti, or then naan, which is only widely available because it appeals to non-South Asians, but is neither healthy nor eaten at home on a regular basis.

That was a very long response, but intended to say that the target audience for this niche product is very specific. I haven’t come across a single South Asian who has seen the ad since they released it a couple of years ago who wasn’t excited by the idea of fresh rotis with the total effort being - insert flour & water.

The price point seems Tesla-like… started expensive for proof-of-concept and to control demand as they figured out production.

1 Like

Presumably because it “rolls” things out, rather than “pressing” them. You can’t “press” a gluten-based dough into a disk (at least not without a lot of pressure, probably applied and held for some time), and on the other hand, masa really don’t take to being “rolled” very well.

Artisan Tortilla Maker”… <shudder, lol>

1 Like