RIP Chowhound

I vote with Saregama for a clean slate.

I gather we’ve had a goodly number of new recruits since yesterday. Let’s be our usual welcoming, friendly selves.

14 Likes

It was. And, if memory serves, they later included it or me as one of the Top 50 threads or posters. Goodness knows how they came to whichever decision it was.

4 Likes

Actually, there are a few knowledgeable core posters in the French board, many others are travelers asking for help, so they will follow the flow. It will be great to see if they are interested to join HO.

5 Likes

I agree.

Also, let bygones be bygones.

I know I can be pedantic. Most of us can be pedantic. It’s because we’re interested enough in food, restaurants, alcohol, etc to spend time discussing it in our free time. It can be nice to share knowledge.

Here’s the thing. Most people do not like being corrected or told they’re wrong. Of course, most of us know this from CH. Don’t yuck someone else’s yum.

Most of us are a little burnt out right now, after the past 2 years, which makes me, at least, a little more irritable.

I come to HO and the Internet in general, to figure out how what’s for dinner and where to eat, but also to plan trips, escape, procrastinate and connect with others.

Let go of old grudges. Let old posters have a new start. Ignore the posters who annoy you. Try to keep the snark to a minimum, and use SaRCAsm tyPE or :joy::thinking::tired_face: emojis to let people know when you’re joking or being sarcastic. Back away from fights. Soften your language though the edit function. This post is becoming a little too pedantic.

Do what you want, be the kind of poster you want to be.

Enjoy HO. :slight_smile:

24 Likes

I hadnt realised until very recently that the system does have that most useful facility to actually block someone so you don’t see their posts (unless they are quoted by someone else). From experience on another (non food) forum, it can be really helpful in dealing with the rare occasion when someone consistently irritates the crap out of you. Use it sparingly.

As an aside, it makes me wonder how many HOs will not read this post because they’ve “ignored” me. :grinning:

15 Likes

I’m sorry John can you repeat that, apparently my settings is blocking me from reading what you posted. (joke) You are correct, simply ignoring a poster or even a better trick I learned, just scroll past people who annoy you!!!

You know what else? We don’t have to reply to people!! Nope there is no obligation to reply, if someone says something we don’t appreciate, just ignore it and scroll on by!!

17 Likes

You can also delete your reply, for about 2 h, which I tend to do if I start to wish I hadn’t started typing.

3 Likes

Through a very scientific and unbiased approach. :rofl:

I somehow missed this https://www.chowhound.com/food-news/232072/most-memorable-threads-on-chowhound/amp

1 Like

The more I read about indiv poster experiences the more I realize how challenging it is to moderate a public forum.

Kudos to those who operate and moderate this free forum.

15 Likes

I always think of places like HO as being very similar to the pub in the village. There are some folk who you’re on really good times with - a pleasure to chat with and the reason why you spend too much time at the pub. There’s others who are not pals but you give them a nod and a smile as you walk past. Then there’s the occasional one who always want to pick an argument - s/he’s the one that causes you to finish your drink and go home early. And the even more occasional one who wants to pick a real fight and suggests you both sort it out in the car park.

12 Likes

(( hey everyone did Harter’s just tell me to meet him in the car park?? I hope someone is seeing this, I’m going to sue if he touches my face, I make a fortune with this face, he better not scar it!!! HELP!!! ))

Good analogy. Then there’s the smart ass bar runner who has never been paid a day but likes to act like he owns the bar. I wonder who that would be?

6 Likes

Harters, you forgot about the guy who went to the pub for a beer only to end up subjected to the fight in the parking lot on his way to the car.

Forums are also a spectator sport.

10 Likes

So, some years back, we went to Dublin for a long weeked, which was generally nice. Found a good pub which had traditional music on. We were having a great time. Until the groups of the two rival sports fans decided to settle their disputes over the days matchin the bar, not the car park. This was not a bit of pushing and shoving but a full scale fight involving maybe 40 particpants. We couldnt get out because it was going on all around us. Luckily the worst that happened is that my glasses got knocked on the ground and I was worried they would be trodden on and I wouldnt be able to see. I’ve not seen violence like that, in real life, before or since.

6 Likes

I hear ya loud and clear, my friend. On the concert circuit this tribe was inevitable. I’ve got a few stitches should I ever need reminding. Since retiring from the road portion of my crazy arse career, my spectator radar has been much calmer but never far from my sniffer.

Most of us (he says w/a grin) just want to enjoy our beer in peace.

6 Likes

Hey, Saregama, we’re thinking of moving COTM over here. Maybe you or someone else who is already familiar with this site could give me some advice on how to set it up. We would need a cookbook of the month tag. Can any user create a tag? And how is it done? I also can’t see how you add the tag to your post. TIA for any advice!

7 Likes

I worked the stadium show where Ted Nugent got hit in the mouth by a ball bearing. Thrown by one of his fans!
Ah, the 70s.
:cowboy_hat_face:

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Welcome MelMM.

The site works as the old Chowhound format used to work. So, simply go to the appropriate sub-forum on the home page ( in this case it would be the “cooking, cookbooks, ingredients” sub-forum, within “Cooking Discussions”). You’ll see a “New Topic” button, bottom right. Click that and away you go with the pop-up box. You need a title and something in the body. Tags are there but they are optional and I’ve never used one. And there’s the opporunity to make soemthing italic, bold, larger, etc. And we like our emojis.

6 Likes

@Saregama

Welcome MelMM, so glad to see you here!! As Harters says, very easy to do here.

3 Likes

Welcome @MelMM!

Tags are less used here mostly because the search and tracking mechanisms are much more effective.

But @hungryonion @sck @naf @biondanonima (who organizes cuisine of the quarter) may be able to clarify — or set up a tag (I’ll venture that we’ll need a few…)

The rest is as @Harters responded in terms of setting up a new topic.

6 Likes