ridiculous label claims

The other day I noticed a bag of cocoa/cacao powder with “plant based” proudly proclaimed in large lettering across the front. No kidding? What other origin could cacao possibly have?

What gems have you seen lately?

3 Likes

That’s a good one!
I saw a package of smoked salmon labeled as gluten free- which made me think is it even possible to make smoked salmon with gluten…?

Oh, and apparently this jar of dill pickle spears that i’m snacking on right now is labeled as gluten free too. Again, not sure how one would even get gluten in a pickle…

2 Likes

I had a gluten-free steak and gluten-free asparagus :thinking:

2 Likes

You could make teriyaki smoked salmon with soy sauce that includes wheat.

Wild organic salmon. What the hell is that? Things are just getting ridiculous lol

1 Like

I 've seen bottled water labeled gluten-free. Western civilization has got it coming.:unamused:

4 Likes

I’ve seen that on bottled water too. The epitome of ignorance.

Really? I rarely ever buy bottled water so I guess I need to pay closer attention. I thought that was a famous website hoax from a couple of years ago, like Bonsai Kitten:

but it’s such an obvious and legally bulletproof claim to put on a label I’m not surprised. A lot of candies that contain basically nothing but sugar of some kind and flavorings have been labeled Fat- Free! for decades now.

I saw it a number of years ago when I worked at a natural foods store. A customer pointed it out and was perplexed when I told her that water does not have gluten. She was of the disease de jour mindset - did not have celiac or gluten sensitivities. Since one label stated it was gluten free then the products without the claim must contain gluten… There are some people who you just can’t talk sense to.

5 Likes

Gluten-free vodka

And another wild-harvested item, “organic” dulse, a seaweed.

1 Like

That’s interesting…isn’t “most” Vodka a neutral grain liquor?

By definition, yes. I guess the concern is that if you use wheat, barley or rye for the mash, a homeopathic dose of gluten might survive all the distilling.

1 Like

Hmmm. I guess if food scientists have discovered a process that can remove gluten from breakfast cereal, they can modify for any other consumable…

I guess you could limit yourself to potato vodka, but it’s less common. Or you could do rum or tequila - but as you said since the dose of gluten is homeopathic at best most celiac diets don’t recommend against spirits. The real no-no is beer.

I remember seeing my first “ridiculous label claim” , I was probably 16-17 years old and don’t ask me why but still to this date I have an affection for Chef Boyardee. Key is I have to eat it room temp right out of the can, heating that stuff up ruins it. lol

So I used to eat a ton of this when I was a kid, it used to be the ultimate between meal snack. I remember one day I was eating it while watching TV and I noticed the label said: “Family Size” feeds 4. hahhahahhahahaa

They mislabeled my snack size as family sized!!! Crazy right? I know!!
(it’s actually a true story)

5 Likes

I know it’s based on serving size but this is still a ridiculous claim.

Also…

4 Likes

Teens of the XY persuasion are renowned for their appetites the world 'round!

There’s a bit of a trend - possibly EU in origin? - to have the nutrition labeling not only per serving but also per package. Someone out there knows you’re just gonna eat the whole container! Handy info for those experiencing growth spurts, “the munchies”, and plain 'ol gluttony :grin:

1 Like

Let’s get together and start bottling fat-free, gluten-free, organic, non-irradiated, non-GMO, salt-free, sugar-free H2O. We’ll make Bezos and Buffett look like paupers!:wink::cry:

1 Like

Only if it’s also fair-trade, artisanal, small-batch, and hand-crafted. :smile:

3 Likes

I’ll join only if it is free range and Montessori schooled.
:grin:

1 Like