Rhinebeck, NY?

Chowdom - I am on facebook. Do they have a page there?

Thanks!!!

Yes they do… it is a very very very casual place

My favorite places on the east side of the Hudson from Rhinebeck out are:

The Local (Rhinebeck) - never disappointed there. New-American I guess>
Mercato (Red Hook) - James Beard-nominated, outstanding Italian.
Panzur (Tivoli) - Weds - Sun only, Weds is ‘family meal’ which just means that they have a more limited menu other than their special meal which changes each week. Spanish influenced with lots of flavors.

There are a number of good restaurants in Poughkeepsie, but if you are at a B&B in Rhinebeck, you probably won’t want to drive back down through traffic. Tivoli and Red Hook are a more leisurely drive from Rhinebeck.

What restaurants in Poughkeepsie do you recommend? For future reference - thanks.

I can’t get out as much as I used to, but best Poughkeepsie places:

Crave is my favorite. (can get a seat outside now that summer is here!), Artist’s Palate (more fancy), and Nic L Inn.
Brasserie 292 (steak), Mill House Brewing (brewpub food)

Those are all sit down places. I’ve loved Twisted Soul’s food for a while, their unofficial motto is international street food. And at Intro (sister place across the street) they have interesting sandwich combos that aren’t using cold cuts.

Formosa serves xiao long bao (soup dumplings). And lots of small Mexican places on Main Street…

Haven’t tried Rabbit and Turtle yet, but it looks promising. Only had Yolo Bistro for lunch. Queen City Bistro has pruned back their menu a bit.

Thank you all for your ideas. We will only be there for two nights (assuming hubby is ok) so we prefer to stick around the area. We will go to CIA - American Bounty (is that a good choice?) and probably Le Petite Bistro. What’s good for breakfast and lunch?

I loved my too-few meals at American Bounty. Last year I was there for a milestone birthday and the kitchen sent out a dessert plate that contained just about every chocolate and/or blueberry confection imaginable. The visit before that I got a tour of the kitchen and got to sample all of the sorbets.

1 Like

WCG, hope your husband is ok.

I was at Bread Alone’s cafe twice last summer for lunchtime salads and they were really, really great. Bread Alone has expanded quite a bit but I think they’ve done a good job of maintaining quality.

The Rhinebeck farmers’ market is really great too. The farmers have less distance to go than to Westchester so stuff is cheaper there than at the Pleasantville market. We stocked up the day before we went back home.

Thanks ice cream!

Rhinebeck farmers market is on Saturday

Hi all - I just wanted to write a quickie that we went to Rhinebeck and had a couple of very good meals and a dud. We were only there for really one full day and part of another, but mom died on the full day, so everything changed. I plan to write up our two dinners - one not so good - American Bounty - and one excellent - Le Petite Bistro. Opted out of Bread Alone for breakfast. Cafe wasn’t open yet and when I’m on vacation is the only time someone serves me breakfast so we went to Pete’s across the street. Nice little throwback with lousy coffee. Lunch at Terrapin was very good, though we both had salads (DH seared tuna and me - craving a caesar). I understand it can be hit or miss. Went there for dessert one night and that was very good. I’m a sucker for a good molten chocolate cake. I know, I know. As soon as I can get my brain to function properly, I’ll post about our dinners.

Chowdowm - I was looking for that Greig farm and we never found it.

So sorry to hear about your mom.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your mom, wincountrygirl.

Thank you both

My condolences, winecountrygirl.

When our daughter attended Vassar in the early 1990’s, we had two excellent meals at American Bounty. I’ll be interested to hear why yours wasn’t. We also ate once at Le Petit Bistro. Charming place with delicious food. Glad to hear it’s still around.

My Blog
My Flickr

Condolences Gwen

We’ve been twice to the CIA. I wasn’t impressed with American Bounty, but very much liked the French restaurant - it was not called Bocuse, as it is now.

This was ages and ages ago, and imo, not worth the trip back.

Thanks, JF

Here is a link to my reasons

Love Petite Bistro but I fear things may change there. They are in the process of expanding into the space on the corner. It will be a totally separate room where they plan to offer a more casual menu and brunch. I hope the expansion does not spread them too thin. Our night there was most enjoyable - food and service and the small place.