Restaurants That Have Closed in Houston (and Greater Houston Area)

Both Mark’s American Cuisine and Christian’s Tailgate on Washington, (the original), are closing in the next couple of weeks.

I haven’t been to either in over a decade.

I guess it’s my fault.

Last time I went to Mark’s it was no Bueno - old fish. Any idea what’s going in that great old church?

KAHN’S DELI on Rice Boulevard has closed.

OK, it was a year ago, but I just noticed!

Rioja has that dreaded “Remodeling” sign up.

Usually bad news.

Triple freaking A has closed according to the Houston Press. Can someone suggest a better chicken fried steak other than BBQ Inn and Hickory Hollow which AAA destroyed?

First Hong Kong Chef, then AAA, what’s next, Verona Pizza on Gessner?

Yeah, we talked about that on another thread.

I preferred BBQ Inn CFS anyway.

I got nothin. I’m heartsick about it. And what kind of owner doesn’t attempt to sell the brand rather than just shutter. Must be allergic to money.

I read it was a lease issue.

Given the improved road and the gentrification going on in the immediate area, it may have just been insurmountable.

Watch for some hipster exotic water bar to open up there.

I used to frequent Rioja but last time I went it had a new owner and the menu was not as good. They had the best gazpacho, sardines, garlic soup. My favorites were missing or different recipes.

Same here.

I was never a regular, but we went shortly after the new ownership came on board.

It was OK, but not stellar.

Just passed by Rioja and there was some brick work being done.

Hopefully they ARE just “Closed for Remodeling” and it will be back better than ever.

Interesting! I wonder if it is new owners again.

This will have little impact on your life but I got a little sad when I drove by the old Baskins and Robbins on Memorial Drive just east of Beltway 8. It’s in an oddly shaped space next to a dry cleaner. I think it’s been there for ever. But now the space is empty. :sob::icecream:

No kidding? I’ve never stopped there but I’ve driven by it literally a thousand times or more.

Yes so surprised, it’s such a summer hang out for kids. I also saw where Durham House is closed after only a few months.

Doobs, if you had stopped there a thousand times they still might be open, but of course you would weigh six hundred pounds.

True on both accounts.

What’s new? How’s Mamacita? Lambsy and I have discussed a meetup soon. Are y’all still eatin’?

Doobs, wifacita speaking we are still in the eating circle.

1 Like

WIFACITA!! Welcome!

Read toward the bottom of this link:

Maybe we can meet up this summer. Some place with refrigerated air.

How about JC and Wifacita suggest a Spring Branch spot?

It seems we’re all on the westside more or less, so more frequent meetups should be mandatory, no?

I could do Polonia again. Or El Hidalguense. I know Jaymes likes Korean.

Who’s in?

1 Like