Regional Chinese roundup 3.0 (SF Bay Area)- April 2016 - December 2017 archive

Taste of Shandong Alice Chinese Bistro is reported closed according to Yelp. There have been false alarms here before, but this may be for good-- they are not accepting orders via Uber Eats and their liquor license expires this month.

That’s another jinxed location. Since the turn of the Century, 420 Judah has been:

Shanghai Restaurant (大上海飯店)
Dragonfly
Dash Cafe
Sapporo Ramen
Alice Chinese Bistro
Shandong Alice Chinese Bistro

As “Great” Shanghai, it had excellent cheap Shanghai homestyle fare. When the owner took it over, it hat been a nondescript Cantonese Restaurant, and, as is often the case, he added its menu on top of the existing dishes, which included some chop suey dishes. As a joke, I asked the server to describe one to me. “I don’t know,” she said. “I’ll ask the chef.” When she came back, she said “He doesn’t know either. I guess we don’t have it.”

2 Likes
1 Like

@Souperman , – Alice has been replaced by an Izakaya place. The saga continues.

• Jiuding Flavor Restaurant replaces the Milpitas location of Beijing Duck House. Menu has Lanzhou hand-pulled noodles, some Beijing specialties (holdover from previous restaurant, chef too?), lots of Sichuan

• Lan’s Garden (Taiwanese) has closed

• Golden Garlic @ 1530 S De Anza Blvd San Jose, CA 95129 has closed

• Jiuding Flavor Restaurant is closed.
  • Smile House Cafe on Taraval is closed (not on the list, but FYI)

Openings

Closures

• HIT Milpitas is closed

• Village house in San Francisco temporarily closed

• Little sheep in Union city temporarily closed

Categorizations

• I added a section called Shenzhen 深圳市 or Hong Kong style chicken pot, and listed two restaurants, one based on the restaurant’s info, another based on a Chihuo write-up. Lemme know if something has been miscategorized.

• I added Hanoi Chicken Noodle (San Leandro) as Vietnamese Chaozhao. Is that accurate?

• Boiling Hot Pot (SF Outer Richmond, Fremont) and the Pots (Inner sunset) I added to the hodgepodge hot pot category

Upcoming

• Z & Y Bistro ( SF Chinatown) hand-pulled noodles, “rice, yakitori, beer and wine”

Bai Xing Jia Hunan Fusion in San Jose is flying the Hunan banner. Their name says fusion in English but only Hunan in Chinese.

1 Like
  • Shihlin Taiwan Street Snacks just opened
  • Root, a Jiangxi style restaurant in South SF closed. Only remaining Jiangxi restaurant is Noodles Fresh (El Cerrito), whose menu has a few Jiangxi items.

How should I characterize Bing’s Dumplings 麵香 and Din Ding Dumpling House?

Both places specialize in xiao long bao
, steamed rather than boiled
Dumplings, and hand-pulled noodles. Their menus (see Yelp links above) aren’t Shanghainese and I’m not noticing that many Taiwanese items, though I get a Din Tai Fung vibe from both. Any insights? Would you call this “xiao chi”, and if so, is it possible to associate that with a region or are we in pan-regional territory?

I just contacted the owner of DD, but wanted to see others weigh in on both.

Lanzhou hand pulled noodles (beef) opening next week around the 20th according to someone in the still-to-be-finished store. Two doors down from Noodle Hut in Milpitas.

There is a chain with the same name in China.

1 Like

Lanzhou Niu Rou La Mian is not so much a chain as a product description, like “Philadelphia Cheese Seatk.” There are in fact small chains like Muslim Boutique Beef Noodles:: and large conferacies like “兰州正宗牛肉拉面” “Authentic Lanzhou Hand-Pulled Beef Noodles” that dominates Shanghai, and whose owners are mostly from Qinghai that use similar menus and signage but no central management. They do, in fact, operate at the pleasure of sort of protective cartel, the Shaanxi-Gansu-Ningxia Treaty…

Their Chinese name has a ‘Zhong Wah’ preceding the lanzhou niu rou mian. ‘Zhong wah’ just means Chinese. There happens to be a chain with that name in China. But we’ll see whether its related, since the name is still very generic.

Apologies, I have never seen the name. Is it in Guangzhou? Why the “China” qualifier? Maybe it’s pushback against Shanghai’s venerable “California Beef Noodle King USA” :wink:

Not sure! I googled the name and came across a number of listings with that name. Clicked on it and the web site is down…

A few I’ve missed:

• Bamboo Garden (Millbrae) Shanghai, small menu
  • Koong’s ( Milpitas) Korean Chinese scattered through the menu
  • Porridge House (Newark) taiwanese
  • Hunan Chef in Pleasanton has some Shaanxi soups on the menu and a Lanzhou noodle soup they source noodles). They don’t seem specialized enough for inclusion on this list, but given their location I wanted to bring it to the attention of the community

Reopened:

• Root, a Jiangxi style restaurant in South SF and Hongs Szechuan in outer sunset have reopened

I moved these under some subset of northern:

It has? Did they remodel? When I was there a couple weeks ago they were all boarded up… Or did it have anything to do with that Food Safety Score?

That’s bizarre… Yelp relisted them this morning, but they’re listed closed as of now and the phone number is dead as it was a few weeks ago. Never mind I guess :slight_smile:

• Northwest Noodle House (West San Jose) opened. They have wide hand ripped noodles, rou Jia mo, and big plate chicken. Northwestern food, including that of Shaanxi, has been conspicuously absent west of Milpitas. Anyone been?

• 168 Restaurant, in Richmond’s Pacific East Mall, closed. What’s replacing it?

Nan Cafe (Oakland Chinatown) on Webster & 8th. Sichuan, chef from Chengdu. Hot pot, toothpick lamb, bobo ji, etc.

It seems like they make their own noodles. I may go this weekend. I will report back.