Regional Chinese roundup 3.0 (SF Bay Area)- April 2016 - December 2017 archive

Not to be confused with Shanghai Delight in Milpitas, which reopened under new ownership recently.

1 Like
  • Noodleosophy (San Mateo) (Shaanxi noodles) wide noodles, “ramen” machine cut noodles made in house, liang pi. Customizable dishes— you choose the protein, type of noodle, soup or dry, spice level.

• Noodle Shanghai (San Mateo) takes over the former Pop Pot space

Liang pi??? Website says mixian for the third noodle option.

Ha, I mentioned Liang pi to jibe with the Shaanxi-ish categorization, not as the Chipotle model of noodle toppings. They’re described in a single dish as “Wheat-based cold and chewy ribbon-like noodles, with seitan (wheat gluten) slices, cucumber and cilantro; dressed with chili oil, soy sauce, and vinegar”

Got it. Didn’t read past the fold. Does sound like a classic liang pi recipe (but hate it when they refer to kaofu as “seitan”).

A new entry in the Taiwanese category: Chan’s Kitchen in Newark. From the people who originally brought you Chou Mama in Newark which was closed and replaced with Papa Lin, which is itself closed)

Thanks!

Speaking of Taiwanese:

• Chick and Tea (Oakland) is closed
  • Fusion House (Fremont) is closed

Hubei steamed dishes hiding inside ramen joint? Posted outside Homi Ramen in Sunnyvale, which is next to Saigon Seafood. They call themselves first in the Bay Area.

1 Like

Malatang restaurant- Bow1 in Newark

1 Like

Closed

• Sichuan Table (Outer Richmond)

Open

Chain expansions

Yuyu Zazang, Shandong (Korea-Chinese) inside first Northern CA branch of the H Mart Food Court in San Jose, CA https://www.yelp.com/biz/yuyu-zazang-san-jose

2 Likes

Looks like it might be related to Yu Yu Za Zang which has been in the Temescal District of North Oakland for years and had a Dublin CA outpost that closed about a year ago.

Yu Yu Za Zang
4871 Telegraph Ave
Oakland, CA 94609

https://www.yelp.com/biz/yu-yu-za-zang-oakland

My Dumpling (Milpitas) has sadly closed and will be replaced with Xian Kitchen.

Guilin noodle house fremont is closed

Tasty Place in Millbrae is a new dumpling and noodle place. They even have a running dumpling as their logo.

Xian Kitchen is open.

Interesting menu – whoa, they have buckwheat noodles and “bell shaped noodles 麻食”. According to baidu 麻食 is another name for “cat ear noodles.” Those were rumored to be at Ark Alameda at one point, but they haven’t been locally available for years.

Other openings:

Closed

• Chan’s Kitchen (Newark) Taiwanese
  • Zazang (Santa Clara) Korean Chinese

banner on Golden Mountains says a Filipino Eatery will open soon. didn’t catch name. was driving by.
end of month timeline. should be open now. saw this last month…

1 Like

Xi’an Kitchen menu looks petty hard-core. Interesting coinage, “beef rouburger.”

I’ve seen the beef/lamb rouburger nomenclature elsewhere, as well as beef/lamb roujiamo. Odd at first since ròu means “pork”, but then again, it’s not like hamburgers have ham in them :wink:

IANAMS (I am not a Mandarin speaker), but I think ròu just means “meat”, with the default being pork. Hence niú ròu, “cow meat”, or beef. It’s still odd to say “beef rouburger” if lamb is meant (probably should just be “yangburger”).