Recommended conical burr coffee grinders?

I am looking for a conical burr coffee grinder to give someone as a gift. It will be used exclusively to grind beans for use in a Frieling 36oz french press.

A few I’m considering are the Hario Skerton (how much time will the manual grinding add to a morning routine?) and Capresso Infinity (might be overkill for the needs).

What do you use that you’d recommend?

TIA

Hi uni,

I gave the Hario Skerton to my son last Christmas, and he loves it! It would pair well with a french press coffee maker. It will outperform or at least match almost anything else, at any price. If there is any anticipated time crunch, grind a few days worth as a reserve.

Ray

2 Likes

I am a firm believe that God invented electricity for a reason. (In other words, a hand grinder is useful only when the power is out!) ;^)

I’d opt for a Baratza Virtuoso, personally.

I had a Capresso Infinity Burr grinder that finally gave out.
Tried Baratza Encore Conical Burr Coffee Grinder and what a huge difference it makes.
Same coffee yet velvety texture with the new grinder.
Love the brush that came with it for super easy cleanup !
Baratza virtuoso and Smeg (quiet machine) were not in my price range this time around.
Very happy with my purchase.

I’ve had a Baratza Encore for years …

1 Like

That is reassuring to know because my last one died prematurely.

Sorry to hear. Mine’s still thriving; I’m sure I’ve had it for 10 years at least. I’ve been putting off upgrading the espresso machine.

Thank you, I was sorry at first yet happy now because the Baratza is an upgrade and
makes a superior cup of coffee.

I use a stovetop Bialetti, stainless steel Moka Pot, to make Espresso.

1 Like

I have a really old Saeco. Nothing is automatic, and I don’t use a pressurized portafilter, either. I just grind and tamp.

1 Like